What kind of sugar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim M

Reaction score
I know from my beer making days that not all sugar is created equal with respect to taste after fermentation. Corn sugar (dextrose) gives a much better result than sucrose (table sugar).

What do most of you use to raise the original SG of your fruit wines?? Have you noticed any off tastes from using regular table sugar?

Thanks - Jim

I for one use regular table sugar for the wines, just not beer. I haven't ever noticed any different flavors from it's use. I have tried using corn sugar before, but I actually like the table sugar better since it's a lot cheaper.

I actually used quite a bit as I ran out of table sugar upping my abv on a Watermelon Merlot and it seems that it really takes quite a bit more of corn sugar.

Granulated white cane or sugarbeet sugar for our wines...Corn sugar in the beer kits....works for us.

Do you think Generic Brand sugars are different??????...I always wonder about that...But have used them too.

summergirl said:
table sugar make sure it is not a store brand.....Domino is the one I use.

Summergirl - could you elaborate? I thought that all sucrose was created equal (no pun intended
smiley2.gif
)

Jim
Edited by: Jim M

Back