What kind of HDTV do you have and what made you buy it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LanMan

Reaction score
I am going to buy a flat HDTV in the next month or so and am doing a little resarch by reaching out to opinions that I respect.
So what kind, what features, how big, refresh rate and all that jazz.

This will be a christmas present from me to me and my PS3, and my family
By the way it will be 40"+
I really like my dad's 46" Sony Bravia

42" Vizio 1080/60hz
for my room size it is the perfect size, the price was crazy low (costco) $399.

Didn't want to spend too much because the technology is always changing. Have had the tv for over 2 years and still love it. Vizio recieved really good reviews for the price.

Best of luck

btw...the picture is crystal clear from all angles

52" Sony Bravia in our living room. We love it. It's like having a movie theater in your home.

20" Vizio in our dining room. It's ok.

32" Samsung and 32" Sony Bravia in our bedrooms. Both are nice TV's.

Larry

We have a few of the Samsung Flatscreen tv's (I'm not sure the sizes) and they have been great! We had a few tv's before that only lasted us a year (Panasonic and Sony), we've had both of these Samsungs for a few years and they have worked beautifully!

Panasonic viera. I got the same one as the previous poster for the same crazy price. I play xbox on it and watch movies. I bought my parents a 50 " (I think) for cheap also. We've never had problems and love them both.

Samsung I have heard does not have a good reputation for repair parts.

Samsung 55" LED 1080p, 240hz, 3D 7900 Series, Built in WiFi
Whether you are viewing a premium-quality 2D picture or seeing incredible 3D depth, images are breathtakingly real in Samsung Full HD. Enjoy superb 2D 1080p clarity with Real 240Hz refresh rate technology, deep rich blacks with Ultra Clear Panel and detailed contrast with advanced dimming technology. Samsung 3D utilizes active shutter glasses which is the only way to experience 3D in Full HD 1080 (when coupled with a 3D source such as a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player or a Full HD broadcast from satellite or cable providers). Samsung 3D TVs also offer a unique feature that allows you to intensify your 2D viewing experience by upconverting it to immersive 3D.

I LOVE THIS TV!!! It has all the features I wanted. We have the Xbox and Wii hooked up to it also. Xbox rocks on it and blue ray player blows you away! Now I'm waiting for Xbox in 3D!! I've waited all my live for this baby!

Last edited:
58" Panasonic Viera (THX Certified) in the den. Love the pic on the plasma for movies and sports. Much better off center viewing as well. Have new Yamaha V671 AV receiver with Bose 5.1 surround sound for movie night.

Master bedroom has a 42" LG LCD. This guy is getting old now but the picture is still amazing so have not upgraded him. He has speakers on the entire sides (top to bottom 3" on each side) so the sound on this TV is amazing compared to the tinny sound that all the rest of the TV's today have. No real need for any sound bar etc on this guy as the sound is just that good all by itself.

Those new 1" thin LCD's are looking pretty sweet I have to admit. This LCD is about 4-5" thick!

Recently bought a 32" Samsung at Sam's Club. Decision process took into consideration: Price, owners' reports, physical size (had to fit into my existing TV Armoire), Price and Price. This is my first HDTV and I am very pleased with it.

Last edited:
46" Sony Bravia, very happy with it. I did prefer the Samsung in the store though, and I have had a couple of samsung lcd monitors that were fantastic.

Why did I choose the Sony? It was about 500 dollars cheaper than the samsung. Of course that was when a 46" cost at least $1000, much cheaper now.

If I were buying now, I would probably go with the led tv, generally brighter and better picture than a traditional lcd.

Stay away from plasmas, they generally have a short life before they start going downhill. Look fantastic at first though.

Yea, we'll have to agree to disagree with that statement. My Panasonic Viera plasma is now 3 yrs old and the picture is still just as amazing as the day it was un-boxed. Its on about 5 hours a day during the week and about 10 hours a day on an average weekend. If I replace the LCD in the MBR it will be another Panasonic plasma.

Stay away from plasmas, they generally have a short life before they start going downhill. Look fantastic at first though.

Yea, we'll have to agree to disagree with that statement. My Panasonic Viera plasma is now 3 yrs old and the picture is still just as amazing as the day it was un-boxed. Its on about 5 hours a day during the week and about 10 hours a day on an average weekend. If I replace the LCD in the MBR it will be another Panasonic plasma.

When do you have time to make wine???:D
Larry

We have a Viera 55" plasma we bought about 9 months ago. It'a a great unit!

Plasma is the Bees Knees!!!!!

+1 and we love ours.

The replys are great everybody, keep 'em coming .
I think I am tossed up between a sony bravia and a samsung.
This is almost as bad as buying a car

Arent plasmas hard to watch during the day or in a brightly lit room? Or is that an old wives tale?

I was warned off of plasmas by two friends that had them. So I certainly don't have personal experience. Both of them had significant picture quality loss over the first couple of years. Both were pretty high end TVs, but I'm sure there are just as many stories with no problems out there as well. I'll certainly defer to those that have owned them on this one. Did not mean to offend the plasma owners! :)

The replys are great everybody, keep 'em coming .
I think I am tossed up between a sony bravia and a samsung.
This is almost as bad as buying a car

Go to Sam's Club and see the TV's they have. More TV's than there are cars on the car lot.
ferrari-046.gif

I have about 24 linear feet of south facing glass along our den area. At certain times of the day/year the glare can be bad. If that happens we have cellular blinds that we can lower that will cut the glare but let some light in. LCD with its "matte" type screen is certainly easier to own in a brightly lit room during the day time.

But come nighttime which is movie time in our house plasma is pretty hard to beat. My SWMBO and I are big into Fantasy Football so tomorrow is a big day that we will both be tuned into the NFL Redzone channel for a good 4-5 hours!

Arent plasmas hard to watch during the day or in a brightly lit room? Or is that an old wives tale?

Back