What kind of grapes are these

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannabarn

Reaction score
20090921_174556_Mikes_grapes_00.jpg

20090921_174626_Mikes_grapes_00.jpg

These are growing in my friend's garden and he has never harvested them! I can have them all and there is about enough for a 6 gallon batch. I kind of think they are concord. They have a suttle wild grape flavor and are off sweet. They are growing about 15 miles south of Lake Superior in Wisconsin so they are hardy grapes. I hope the pics are enough for identity!!

It's hard to tell Barney. They do look like them, but so do a lot of grapes. Do you have a way to check the brix? Concords will only get moderate brix- between 16 and 20 at most. I would let them get as ripe as they will and then use them up! I see some hints of pink coming through, so they aren't quite ripe yet.

This is my first experience with any grapes for wine so I don't have any testing equipment for any thing concerning grape vines. I noticed the vines are planted in a north-south configuration and the grapes on the west side are more ripe than the east side. Sun exposure, I assume!!! I think maybe I will take some cuttings and see if I can start them in pots and try to plant them at my place!

My guess would be Beta. I think the concord bunches are a lot tighter. This does look a lot like the Beta I have growing in my back yard though. Same kind of clusters.

If they are Beta, everything I've read says that they make very poor wine! I have not found out why!!!!!!

Beta is a Concord type of grape. That's why I said it could be Concord. There are many grapes that look similar and taste similar. I would try to make some wine from it and see how it comes out before propagating a bunch more of them.

Give it a shot and see what it's like!

That is what I plan to do. I think they about a week or 10 days from being ripe. It's about 40 miles from my house so I will try to plan my trips carefully to check on them! This will be my first try at grapes from scratch so it will be a new learning experience. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks!!!!!!!!!

I checked the grapes again today and they are still not quite ready but are ripening fast. Probably be ready by next weekend. I have come to the conclusion that they are concord. They are getting much sweeter. A couple of questions! Since I don't have a press and don't forsee making much fresh grape wine, can I use Waldo's method using the rolling pin on frozen grapes (Waldo's Muscadine wine recipe)? What is a good recipe for a concord grape wine?

You can use Waldo's method, but wait until they thaw out before pressing
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

I'm not a Concord recipe expert. I only made one batch of it in my life. I hope somebody else chimes in with a good one.

Thanks, Rich. We had some of your Lacrosse wine tonight. It is very good. Betty liked it and if Betty is happy, everybody is happy!!!!!!!!!
smiley20.gif

I will need to send you some of the better whites Barney. When you were out, I was out of the better whites at the time. I am bottling last years varieties now. The LaCrosse is drinkable and not bad, but the others have a lot more flavor. The LaCrosse from 08 is much different than the 07. It was low in brix last year so I ran it through malo and now can't sweeten it. It really changed the flavor profiles and rounded it out so it doesn't need to be sweetened to balance the acid. No two years are ever the same!

barney Jack keller has a good recipt on his web sight. I just finished bottling 18 gallons of concord from last year
turned out fine. will let sit for about another 6 months then will drink some. will also save some for at least 2 years before opening. I used 12lbs. per gallon for a full bodied wine. I fermint on the grapes. I freeze them for about a month then thaw and hand crush in strainer bags i get at home depot the 5 galon ones for paint. Then you can just throw them away because they are cheap.

Back