What kind of grapes are these?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SB Ranch

Reaction score
This vine belongs to a friend of mine in California. Do any of you recognize it?
20090721_135309_NazGrapes4.jpg
20090721_151936_NazGrapes1.jpg
20090721_152044_NazGrapes2.jpg
20090721_152237_NazGrapes3.jpg

SB Ranch said:
This vine belongs to a friend of mine in California. Do any of you recognize it?

No, I don't recognize that vine. I have never been to California, so I haven't met every vine in the country!
smiley4.gif

Seriously though, there arehundreds of varieties of grapes in the country with many that I have never seen or even heard of. They look like they are at Veraison so either the picture was taken early, or it is a late grape grown in a cooler area.

Thank you for your response. What do you think would be a good way to have this vine identified?

I'm assuming that it was planted by someone else. Sometimes it is just a matter of giving the previous owner a call and asking them what they had planted. Short of that, all the information possible would help identify it. Many varieties have similar leaves and clusters which is why I didn't even hazard a guess. Color when ripe helps some, size of leaf and exact shape and so on. You could bring a few leaves and a cluster or two to a local vineyard near the friend's house. They probably would have an idea.

Back