What is this????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaerick

Reaction score
Checking out my babies, and I saw this in the bottom of the carboy...
20071105_211038_Image010.jpg

I did just rack another batch and the sediment was rock hard (acids??)

Is that all this is?

Anyone seen this before?

Is it O.K.???

The batch is a Frontenac Rosé

20071105_211241_Image011.jpg

That would be my guess that it is some form of acids although I have never seen that look before. Probably the acids precipitated out and mixed with the lees. It looks like some formation around a volcano vent under the ocean!

I consulted my expert, and it is indeed nothing more than acids that have precipitated out. As for the how or why... you got me! I have no clue.

Wine Diamonds....I get them in the wines I make from my own grapes.

One year they were even in the quart jars of steam extracted juice.....thenlined the sides of the primary plastic bucket...in the carboys and now in the bottles of wine.
More of an unsightly nuisance.

Not sure how you can ever get rid of them.Maybe cold stabilization or filtering.

The crystals are potassium bipartrate. Its basically tartaric acid precipting out of the wine; particularly if this was made from fresh fruit.
Cold stabilization will help with this and prevent those crystals in the wine after its bottled. You want to try and get the juice down somewhere around 28 to 32 degress.

What you're left with (once you rack the wine off) is actually cream of tartar.

(I think I got the above right....)

Latest posts

Back