What happens after frost damage?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends.

If the damage was minor the vines will recover. I would simply let them self lysis the damaged parts.

If the damage was significant, then you might need to go through and remove dead material. Or might not. Give the vines at least a week and assess then.

However, IMHO, I would not personally "trim" the vines if that means cutting into healthy shoots.

Also see my own frost damage blog post:

https://stcoemgen.com/2016/04/26/frost-damage/

I had frost damage over 80% of my vineyard I want trim any vines I have heavily fertilized my vines. My harvest will be later than I usely pick might be a blessing. Now a month after my frost damage my vines are full of new growth an I have been sucker pulling every day. I have lightly trimmed the dry tips but not below the green shoots I have mowed my vineyard several times from all the dead leaves that have fall off the vines that were frost damage.

At this point you do not know how much recovery you will see and which buds show it. PATIENCE! well probably for two weeks , , or at least one. It won’t harm the plant to wait the trimming now is for your eye.
So it looks like a light frost hit my vines. Leave are drooping. , , ,Do I prune back or wait for these leaves to drop? I am guessing the vines will re-bud?

Back