What happened to Spring?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gowers Choice

Reaction score
I know we've been spoiled by early springs these last few years, but 6 inches of snow going into the last week of March? Weather is killing me, getting antsy to get outside and fish, mushroom hunt, start picking some fruit, etc. Anybody else sick of winter?

Nice little late winter storm brewing. It was supposed to rain here until late tonight, then change over. But it started snowing a little before 6:00 and has been sticking to the grassy areas for an hour or so.

As of 8 o'clock tonight, we had 13 inches of snow and it's still snowing. Yeah, so much for spring!

Here in Vancouver,no snow for months , but I have grown a set of gills due to all the rain!

I woke up to 3 inches of snow this morning.. Thankfully I burried all my grafted vines in dirt over the weekend while it was in the 40's.

around 10" here ( just south of St. Louis), more just to the north of us. TV says this is the biggest March snow and in the top 4 or 5 in history.

Brew and Wine Supply said:
around 10" here ( just south of St. Louis), more just to the north of us. TV says this is the biggest March snow and in the top 4 or 5 in history.

I had budbreak April first last year. A foot of snow and coldest march I can remember. Growing grapes in missouri is a challenge, maybe delayed budbreak will eliminate problem of late freeze. Got to look on the bright side.

Now have 17 inches of snow on the ground this morning and we are still getting some snow showers. Don't ever remember seeing this much. Last year at this time it was in the low 80's.

A couple of photos of my deck and picnic table

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

Last edited:
WoW!

As usual we missed out on all the precip, it all stayed north of us in CO. Sunday morning's low was a "balmy" 10 degrees F! This AM was up to 21F. Hoping we didn't just kill a mess of buds on the vines. They had just started to swell with 2 weeks of nice warmer weather a few weeks ago. Hoping the buds didn't lose to much winter hardiness from the warmup.

It's nice to be retired where I don't have to leave the house. We live on a country road that has not been plowed and as of last count, there were three cars stuck in the middle of the road. Hmmm, lets see, it's 8:30 in the morning, I think it's time to kick back with a glass of wine and enjoy the snow. Maybe build a fire in the fireplace.

Last edited:
Sounds like a life I could get used to very easily! Unfortunately, I just finished cleaning the wife's car so she could go to work, got the snowblower out to do the driveway plus sidewalks (3 houses down on each side) and shoveled the porch.

Took the morning off of work so I could drive the daughter back to UofI. But I-74 is snow packed and UofI cancelled classes (rumor has it they gig 15" of snow). So, I will work from home until I can bring her back to school.

I know there is beauty on a nice snowstorm but too late in the season for me. Tempted to put down my Diet Coke and continue with a glass of wine....

Joe

Darn, I wish I were one of your neighbors! My snowblower won't run, so it's either shovel by hand, or wait a day or two and let it melt. It think it's supposed to be 56 by Friday. Diet Coke......yes, by all means, put that stuff down, it will kill ya!

Latest posts

Back