What happened to my cork?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Works 25% of the time.

I haven't tried any solutions, but tested with several corks. I've come to the conclusion the issue has much more to do with smoothness and speed of my corking than anything else. I knew before I started that the cork's pressure increases horizontally as the cork is inserted. When I don't work the corker fast enough I have a problem getting the entire cork in because the cork seems to work against me.

I assume (because I don't have one) that a floor corker's extra leverage allows the person to work the tool quickly and evenly to avoid the problem. When I get my floor corker I'll try it.

I have a double-level corker and have used it for few years. I plan on eventually getting a floor corker, but probably will wait until my wife asks me for gift ideas. Like you, I wasn't a fan of the results when I first used the double-level corker. The good news is that the cork is not compromised. The dimple will be less noticeable over time. I have some bottles where you can't see a dimple at all. I haven't found that soaking or any of the other suggestions in this thread work at all. In fact, the dime trick doesn't work at all. I took the bent dimes to back to the bank after that experiment. Like all things wine ... time is what is necessary.

One small addendum - I do agree with your comment about smoothness and speed. i have noticed that as well.

I allow time for the cork to compress before insertion. try a 3 second count before the plunger does the final push.
Also, I think JimmyJames23 is using Canadian dimes, which are better for corking. :D

Helpful or not soaking the corks in a Kmeta solution is a good idea. I just dump them in when I start bottleing and pull them out 1 by 1.

Dave, that is what I do, I poor sanitizer over them and shake off excess when placing into floor corker. It also seemed to work well with my double lever corker as well. still left a dimple every once in a while.

Latest posts

Back