What do you think this is? Worried

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneill

Reaction score
Hi all. I've just started in January and have made all Winexpert kits thus far, about 7. I started an Australian Cab in on 2/15. Followed all the directions and am now in week 1 of 2, stabilizing and clearing, resting in my warm room, 73-75 consistently. I noticed something odd today, attached. It looks like suspended sediment, that is falling to the bottom but not sure. I took the bubble/stopper off to smell it, seemed fine, actually smelled good. This is the first time I've noticed this mid way through. Any ideas? Is this normal? Worried I'm losing a batch. 1 more week and it would be time to move to long term/cold storage.

Thanks again.

World Vineyard Australian Cab.JPG

It appears to be a very fine sediment which is agglomerating in the wine and on the sides of the carboy. I have a device which I use to remove sediment from the sides of the "ribbed" carboys made in the form of a "lazy Susan." I place the carboy on top and slew it from side to side. The carboy moves but the wine stays stationary and washes the sediment off the side. You can do this manually by VERY CAREFULLY slewing the carboy right and left. Be sure to have a strong surface and a good grip on the carboy. That should drop any sediment on the sides and in the ribs of the carboy. The rest will settle out on its own in bulk aging. You will have to rack a couple of times before bottling but I see no problems ahead for you.

Your batch is fine and normal, don't worry. You're seeing either the typical sediment, or even the KMeta and/or Sorbate that were caught up by CO2 that hadn't been degassed or just caught on minor friction points on the bottle. Did you also happen to notice any floating up to the top? If so, that's normal too when the degassing wasn't thorough.

You can try tapping the side and watch some of it fall, or do as Rocky described. The better the degassing the better it will fall. If not in this clearing stage, then when you rack you will leave it behind or it will fall in the next stage.

You're fine, no worries.

Thank you both. I did realize on my first batch that I did not degass it enough. Something I'm still learning so you may very well be correct. Phew, glad it is not ruined.

Thank you both. I did realize on my first batch that I did not degass it enough. Something I'm still learning so you may very well be correct. Phew, glad it is not ruined.

Ive had this before. Its an excess of co2 holding the lees in suspension. I gave mine a quick vigorous whiz and knocked a bit of the co2 out of it and the lees settled very quickly, I then racked and let 2nd fermentation begin and all was well. the nose will tell you if you are in trouble. If it smells god, it is good, lol.

Ok, by shaking the carboy, it all released and seemed to be falling to bottom. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back