What do you mean, "...per gallon?"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guttoc27

Junior
Reaction score
Just to clarify what is probably clear to most but me...

When additions (kmeta, Pectic enzyme, tannin, oak, even initial base fruit, etc) are talked about in terms of "per gallon", does that mean per gallon of initial must volume? Or final desired/expected wine volume?

I'm guessing it depends on the addition in question, I.e. Kmeta is whatever volume of stuff it's being put into at that time?

And specifically regarding base fruit. When yall say 6-8 lbs (non-grape) fruit per gallon, does that mean desired final wine volume? Or initial volume.

Thus making one gallon I might have more than a gallon of liquid after fermentation and after removing fruit, but it will eventually widdle down to a gallon after racking off sediment a few times. Does this example still mean 6-8 lbs total fruit to start with?

Am I making sense or rambling? Thanks all!

its all approximate for us beginners. When you become a pro, and your livelihood is from making $100 bottles of wine let us know.

Its for the volume in your bucket for things like KM. For how much fruit to add you want to have some foresight into how much sediment you are going to get and so how much you might loose when racking so making extra at the start allows for this loss in volume. WVMJ

Given the volume of solids (fruits, must, etc.) and the varying sizes of carboys and the amount of fluid for topping-up, one could expect no more than a liter or two variation throughout the entire process. Certainly not enough to worry about adjusting ingredient amounts. Recipe/instruction amounts will be sufficient.

Back