Quantcast

What do you do with the pomace?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Mud

Unfunny
Reaction score
What do you do with the pulp?

Was reading Jack Keller's blog a couple days ago and he mentioned pulling the fruit out of a primary and using it to make preserves. Also, Julie posted a recipe for re-using elderberies to make a blush on the second pass. Anybody else do this sort of thing? It would be nice to re-use directly instead of composting.

For myself, I'm planning a second batch of cranberry melomel and will likely make a chutney with the pulp.

Last edited:

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Um hello, can anyone say grappa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Reaction score
The only fruit I ever made a second wine with was elderberry as that is really strong in flavor. It came out great.

Every other pomace I just dump in the garbage bin.

Luc

Mud

Unfunny
Reaction score
Wade's a trouble maker. Best stay away from him before he drags you into the seedy world of spirit production. It's a gateway hobby. Next thing you know you'll be growing your own tobacco and working on the side without declaring on your taxes.

non-grapenut

Fruit Fears Me
Reaction score
Was reading Jack Keller's blog a couple days ago and he mentioned pulling the fruit out of a primary and using it to make preserves. Also, Julie posted a recipe for re-using elderberies to make a blush on the second pass. Anybody else do this sort of thing? It would be nice to re-use directly instead of composting.

For myself, I'm planning a second batch of cranberry melomel and will likely make a chutney with the pulp.
Just about any of the berry (or stone fruit) pulps can be used in any jelly/jam recipe.

Mud, I save everything but my grape and banana pulp to add to other creations. Julie's blush recipe is just the beginning. I re-use citrus peels, pineapple and pomegranite pulp the most (and, of course, elderberry, since they are a bi-otch to process!) Rule of thumb, re-use any of the more-expensive fruits.

You will have to let us know how your chutney turns out.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Ive made a few second runs with grapes and theyve come out pretty decent, more of a tble wine instead of the big red. I like big reds but others I know dont so Ive done this and it comes out more like Pinot Noir. Yes RdavidP, it is distillation and I do dabble a little.:sh

Latest posts