What to do with pomace?

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I pressed 25 gallons of fermented frozen must yesterday. I got 18 gallons of wine and 6.5 gallons of pomace. Is the .5 gallon loss considered the devil’s share? Wine lost in a barrel is referred to as the angle’s share so I wonder...

But, what do I do with the pomace? I was thinking of mixing it into my garden but then I thought about all the seeds. I haven’t quite figured out how to use compost bins. Maybe there’s a forum called “Compost Talk” for that? Lol...

Seriously, what to do?

886F0A16-6C31-4F4F-A602-956B265244F8.jpeg9F257620-615B-408B-8ADB-5787273BFF37.jpeg

CDrew

California Garagiste
Reaction score
We composted the first year and about day 5 in the composter we had a fruit fly invasion. Like millions of them, fortunately outside. Since then, the pomace goes out in the green waste. I'd really like to save and recycle into my garden, but I didn't think those Fruit flies were a good thing to have around especially after reading bout the fruit fly troubles from the guys back east. Normally, I rarely even see a fruit fly during fermentation, but with the pomace, that changed almost overnight.

You might get away with it now since it isn't that warm.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Back when we had a garden, I'd just throw it in and turn the soil a bit, as it was always after 'gardening season'. It's early enough now that you could probably do the same.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Sometimes, I'd even leave a small pile right on the surface. Then sit and watch the deer come by at night and tie one on. :p

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
@Boatboy24 I instantly thought that was a brilliant idea. But, since I’ve planted a vineyard, do I really want to serve appetizers? Lol...guaranteed there’s some residual alcohol in there...

The Dutchman

Junior
Reaction score
I usually make a Pomace wine that can be consumed after 6 months. Just add half the amount of accidulated water, and sugar to desired starting gravity. So if you got say 20 gallon of wine from the grapes, add 10 gallons back.
I either do that or add the pomace to a juice bucket, to give it more body.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I make around 150 gallons a year from grapes. It takes around 15.5 pounds to make a gallon of wine and a gallon weighs 8 pounds, so I need to get rid of a little over 1,000 pounds of pumice per year.

My go-to has been a local stay at home family that grows all their own food; fruit, vegetables, chickens, pigs, goats, cows... He has come and picked up my pumice for a number of years. He claims he has the happiest pigs in the county. If he doesn’t take it, it goes to the dump.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Reaction score
I compost pomace. The compost bin is far enough from the house that I don't worry about fruit flies.

Like the Dutchman, I make a second run wine (never heard it called "pomace wine" before, but it fits). It's lighter in body and ages faster, but that's good.

However, if I made 150 gallons, I have no idea what I'd do with an additional 75 gallons. I've got 20 gallons of second run in a barrel.

garymc

Reaction score
Compost bin for mine. Usually in the winter, but sometimes I get fruit flies. Burying the fresh stuff in the rest of the compost tends to reduce the fly problem. As far as the seeds go, I have muscadines coming up in some flower beds and other places. I let one grow and it gave me a new variety that has large pink muscadines.NewVariety8-22-18.jpg

Last edited:

JohnT

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I compost them in a big heap. Tomatoes and Deer both love them. Ever see a deer get drunk? Hours of good quality entertainment right there!

jburtner

Reaction score
That looks pretty good and the second answer would be to make grappa.

Cheers!
-johann

Group Builder