Well water for wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use well water for all my wine kits and beer. The water is unfiltered and quite hard. Excellent results for all my fermentations.

I see this is an old thread now reanimated so I'll add my experience with my water supply. I am a longtime home beer maker and I had my water tested by Ward Labs. They market a brewers test kit. Not sure if this is appropriate for wine making but it let me know what was in my water supply and that helps me "build" an appropriate water profile(s) for different types of beer. This test does not test for bacteria since the wort has to be boiled to make beer anyway.

https://www.wardlab.com/product/water-test-kit/

@Jim Welch Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure what water profile is best for different kinds of wine, but it just makes sense that the flavor of the final product would be affected by the water.

I don't think a "water profile" is called for in wine making like it is in brewing certain types of beer just thought I'd mention the Ward Lab info. It seems the old adage that if a water tastes good it is good to use is a fair assessment although there can be some adverse things in water that are tasteless. I do think it is a good idea to have well water tested periodically if it used as drinking water, water is a powerful solvent afterall.

Back