Welch's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old meet grinder I use for raisins that works great and is easy to clean after.

What???? All I did was to look up to the sky and let the air out of my lungs.:i

LOL. Welch will never make a cabernet sauvignon. However it is readily available, cheap, and easy to make. I see both sides, I for one enjoy a sweeter wine and this fits the bill nicely. The way I see it, if the one making it likes it then who are we to judge. Agreed :b

Hi everyone! I found this recipe on another forum. It's for 1 gallon and I would be making 6 gallons. Thoughts on his recipe and how would alter it for 6 gallons?

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Edit- note! You may want to skip the acid blend, at least at first, as some results say this wine is too "tart".

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

Thanks!

I just followed this receipe for my 1st welches "non kit" batch of wine.
I think I tweeked (IE: screwed up) the receipe a little, by addin a little too much sugar.
But will see how it works.

Elmer said:
I just followed this receipe for my 1st welches "non kit" batch of wine.
I think I tweeked (IE: screwed up) the receipe a little, by addin a little too much sugar.
But will see how it works.

I would make that at least 3 cans of concentrate per gallon. I will use four per gallon in my next batch.

I would make that at least 3 cans of concentrate per gallon. I will use four per gallon in my next batch.

I should have noted I used 3 cans.
And added a 4th, since I also added sorreno peppers to give it a kick.
I gave it too much kick and added a 4th.

Of course my 1 gallon is actually 1.5 and I only have a one 1 gallon glass bottle for aging!

Last edited:
Your 4 cans will be just fine, that is what I used per gallon and am only making a 2 gallon batch. You will have some residual sweetness left over. I split my 2 gallon batch into 2 - 1 gallon carboys so I could leave one alone and oak the other, to see if I liked it.

ok 48 hours into this and fermentation has not started.
Usually with any of my kit wines fermentation begins within 48 hours.

I had an aquarium heat pad on it, which I unplugged.
I also tried taking the top off the bucket. The top had been loosely on. I have not moved it 1/2 way off to get some O2 in there?

Is 48 hours normal or am I just being impatient.
It is only 1 gallon!

Are you saying it has not started by SG measurement or by visual appearance?

What yeast are you using? If it is something like RC212 that is not super-active, don't rely on visual for the first 3-4 days. Take measurements.

You could try stirring the heck out of it to oxygenate it. I'd take the dang lid off and put a towel over it to get max oxygen to it.

Dunno what effect the peppers might have had.

After all that, if it's really stuck, you can always resort to EC1118.

Are you saying it has not started by SG measurement or by visual appearance?

What yeast are you using? If it is something like RC212 that is not super-active, don't rely on visual for the first 3-4 days. Take measurements.

You could try stirring the heck out of it to oxygenate it. I'd take the dang lid off and put a towel over it to get max oxygen to it.

Dunno what effect the peppers might have had.

After all that, if it's really stuck, you can always resort to EC1118.

Visually
I used lalvin ec 1118.
I have always used lalvin ec 1118. All the mosti mondale kits I have done come with lalvin ec 1118.
(thought I must say that MM ships thier yeast in the box, which leaves it room temp. When I bought the same yeast separately it was stored in the fridge)

Anyhow.
I took the lid off 1/2 way and stirred like crazy.

I should mention I have not taken a SG reading since my intial of 1.100. I only have 1.5 gallon of this wine and every time I take a reading I dump afterwards. I

Last edited:
what's your temp? your gonna want low 70's*F to start if it's not place it in a warmer area (maybe on top of the fridge) and give it another day.

Hello....can I rack my 1 gal primary into a pitcher, clean out the 1 gal container then immediately rack back into the original 1 gal container? Too much exposure??

4score said:
Hello....can I rack my 1 gal primary into a pitcher, clean out the 1 gal container then immediately rack back into the original 1 gal container? Too much exposure??

There are people here with a lot more experience then me but I will say yes you can. This sould not be a problem.

Roger

Hi all

I am going to make some more of the Welches but this time I am going to use the 4 cans to one gallon. What yeast do you all use in this wine?

Roger

I use RC-212, per the "King of Welchs"

Back