Welchs white Vs Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
This is not a post to bash welchs, but an inquiry.
I have tried welchs concord red, I have made it twice and I dont like it.
However to each their own.

I find my wife, who was never a fan of whites, now drinking whites. For some reason all my house guest bring a bottle of white, so we had a few in the fridge.
She now enjoys a glass of white at night.

I thought I would experiment with a gallon of Welchs white grapes.

Is there a difference between the white and the concord red?

Does Welchs white make a decent white? or is there another way to make a white alternative with out really making a white?

The thing is If I make 6 gallons of white, i cant guarantee she would still be into whites by the time it is ready.

Any thoughts?
And 1 gallon white ideas? Or is chilled berry wines close to whites?

Last edited:
images

Hi Elmer

Julie is giving you great advice. 4 cans per gallon. On a couple occasions I've made large batches from concentrate and found that planning to make 5 gallons turns into 6 if you aren't careful about using under a gallon of water.

BTW I am a huge white wine fan and have found I enjoy many berry wines. Chilled does make it more pleasing to lots of folks, but I go room temp. My fave from concentrate is cranberry. I've made it mixed with apple, or lime, or raspberry and each is different and wonderful. I have found that often if stores have Ocean spray ready to drink stock that will expire within a few weeks they will sell it to me 1/2 price, so I usually start with a base of premade juice and add concentrates from there. 71B helps these wines soften earlier, so i stick to it.

Glad to know more people are learning the joys of white wine. Even a couple years back folks looked at me like I was nuts for preferring it.

Pam in cinti

Forgot to mention that Niagara grape is a real pain to clear. I have to use sparkelloid. Even giving it a year in a carboy it doesn't clear well. I am referring to Welches white. Just be prepared.

Pam in cinti

Forgot to mention that Niagara grape is a real pain to clear. I have to use sparkelloid. Even giving it a year in a carboy it doesn't clear well. I am referring to Welches white. Just be prepared.

Pam in cinti

Pam have you tried adding bentonite at the beginning?

Julie, I have only used bentonite once when making a kit. Since I will be making several more white wine buckets very shortly I would really appreciate a few tips on how to use it, as I am now looking at my spring white buckets and guessing I'll need to sparkelloid them also to clear. I do know for a fact that the welches white is hard to clear as I had adapted a prior experimental batch to try to reduce the acid level. Batch one cleared beautifully on it's own, but batch 2 that had several welches added never cleared til I hit it with sparkelloid.

Could you point me to decent instructions on bentonite? I do have the AIO and house filter. I'll be picking up 4-5 buckets of white this coming Thursday.

thanks so much!

Pam in cinti

thanks for info.
Anytime I make anything from concentrate I usually use 5 and make just over a gallon.
This way I have some to top off with

Do any of you guys mix the Concord and Niagara concentrates together? Pre fermentation that is.

1118 is a very aggressive yeast. I would use more for a must that would be hard ferment. I would learn more to 71b 1122 yeast

Old orchard has a rasberry / white grape thats pretty tasty when done

1118 is hard to stop, which is why folks use it for a stalled ferment. But it loses a lot of fruit flavor and aromas. D47 is really good esp in whites at holding fruit aromas and flavors which 1118 strips out. I like D47 a lot, but I've recently started using Q23 which is similar but to a higher alch percentage. 71B is really good at reducing excess malic acid, so if your wine has a lot of cranberries, blackberries or apples 71B really helps make that wine earlier to drink as without it it might take over a year to drop excess acid or smooth out enough to drink. 1122 is great for a red that is good in acid range. It holds good flavor and color.

Lots to learn. Luckily we can learn from each other instead of just experience.

pam in cinti

I have a gallon of the white sitting under the desk clearing right now. I use the 3 Qt bottles as primary add sugar to bring the SG up to about 1.110. Ferment to dry, cold crash for a week, add sorbate and 1 more qt of juice in a secondary. Let it clear for about 2 months and its ready to go. Mine usually finishes out about 11.5 - 12%. I have experimented with acid and tannin blends with some success. The sweet wine drinkers love it and it's a good starting point for bench trials.

The Concord... I had a very good batch that I've never been able to reproduce. Always turns out very woody tasting. Drinkable but I wouldn't serve it to anyone.

Last edited:
Back