Welch's white Grape Cherry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasemandingo

Reaction score
Hello all, I just started a Welch's white grape cherry juice wine following Jack Kellers recipe. I added sugar to bring the S.G. to 1.09 and pitched a hydrated packet of Lavlin RC 212. I do have some Questions that I am hoping someone may be able to address. I was rushed in the process and did not add any sulfite to my must and the juice contains no preservatives. I read up on the RC212 on Jack's website and it says that it may be more susceptible to H2S problems. My dilema is that I would like to rack into a secondary and add a campden tablet and let it ferment out but I am worried that the stress might cause the development of an H2S problem!!! Should I be worried or not? Also, what would a good s.g. be to rack into secondary. I was thinking 1.01-1.02 but I am open to suggestions. Also, I made a first attempt at testing the TA of this must before fermentation. However, I got no color change at all even after I had added all 10cc of Sodium Hydroxide solution. I was wondering if I bought a faulty kit or if the fact that the juice is artificially colored a lightish red would interfere? Since I couldnt measure the TA I just followed Jack's recipe and added 1/2 tsp of acid blend. I will try my kit out again soon on a straight white grape juice wine. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated!

Don't make this anymore difficult than it is. Don't worry about H2S right now, let it ferment. You can rack at 1.010 or you can snap down the lid on the primary when you are at 1.010 add an airlock and let if ferment to dry then rack.

If you did not get a color change at 10cc then you needed to add more, keep adding until there is a color change.

Yes but that would mean my wine would be over 1% acid or ten grams per liter if I remember correctly which would be way out of range for any wine if I am not mistaken. My bottle of sodium hydroxide solution did have some precipitate around the outside of the cap which leads me to believe that a leak may have been present. If that is the case O2 may have gotten in and ruined my titrate solution!!!! I hope this is not the case :(

I have made a couple of batches of this wine and it is a very nice early drinker. Will be backsweetening three gallons later today. I also followed Keller's recipe, including using RC212, and I have not had any H2S problems.

Back