Welch's concord with the super-sugar method

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quoteThe only way at this time would be to dilute with water which would obviously dilute the flavor.

Heavens no. Better to mix in a gallon of Paisano.
T...

Seriously, as Jim states, just put it all together and let it do its thing. Some finish sweeter than others but all ends up good.

The only reason I add my heating pads to it is that I have a hard time getting RC-212 going in my house. I have no idea what temp. it is at, I just turn them on for a few hours at a time. I never get concerned with keeping a must at a certain temp., etc. As long as it ferments, I am good to go.

Not trying to get technical with the temps lol. I always check and write it down for every batch I do to be consistent. I'll
Probably just rack it and let it go as is. I'll just have a glass of something else to get a buzz before I drink any of this if it's too sweet lol.

I may be off-base in my thinking, but couldn't JimmyT add in more Welch's? I would think he could add in enough fresh juice so that the ABV falls to the level that RC212 could handle. Then ferment it back to the die-off ABV again.

I think that basically what I am suggesting is that you could still get the recipe right; even though it is half-fermented, you would be mixing in the sugar/juice ratio that you wanted to start with. The order is less important (assuming you can restart the fermentation).

Why do I feel like it's getting so complicated! I thought it would be easier than this! This is going to be my first wine that I make but I'm scared that I'll mess it up! Encouragement needed PLEASE

Why do I feel like it's getting so complicated! I thought it would be easier than this! This is going to be my first wine that I make but I'm scared that I'll mess it up! Encouragement needed PLEASE

haha
Don't let it "scare" you. It is REALLY easy to make. Probably one of the easiest wines to make you will ever make.
I literally put it all together and let it go. The yeast will eventually die off and then you just stabilize it, let it clear, and bottle. Done.

I only use RC-212 but I am sure you can use whatever yeast you like. Personally, I would experiment with different ones to see if you notice any differences.

For me, I have just always used 212 and it turns out well.

Last edited:
BeginnerMark.
Just follow the basic recipe for one gallon. Pretty much any basic recipe.
You really can't get it wrong.
I used Lalvin Ec1118 for my first gallon ever, and probably not enough concentrate. Still came out very good if a bit alcoholic.
Next time I made it, I used RC212 and more Welches. Came out a bit better. Now I'm making three gallon jugs.
Its a process. You have to start somewhere.
"Don't ever give up!"
And, trust these guys to help you out of jam if one should happen. They pulled my butt out of the fire a couple of times. (Thanks guys)
Tony...

Don't let my questions deter you. It really is as simple as the recipe calls for. I'm a little anal sometimes or more OCD than anything and my second go didn't match the first. I was simply throwing that question out to see if it was worth pitching more yeast to get the sg lower.
On to another question I thought of as I was racking the latest batch of this stuff. Has anyone made this exact recipe with the white grape instead of the concord? If so, how'd it turn out? Anything you would change with the recipe?

Can someone give me a link from eBay for good K meta? ... Having trouble finding it

I bought potassium sorbate now I need to buy the KMeta help!

Last edited:
Can someone explain what's the KMeta used for and what the potassium sorbate does? And how to use it too lol
Sorry forgive my ignorance
Hence my username is "beginner"

Kmeta serves two functions: it is an antimicrobial that prevents spoilage by bacteria, and it is an antioxidant that prevents oxidation of your wine.

Potassium sorbate is "birth control" for yeast. It prevents them from producing by budding (asexual reproduction). In that manner, it prevents yeast from reproducing and causing a refermentation. This inhibition allows you to add sugar for backsweetening without the yeast waking up and eating it.

Last question I promise! In step number 4 the recipe called for me to rack it over after the sediments reaches 1/2-3/4" I rack it over to another carboy correct? What if I only have one carboy? Can I put it into my primary fermenter bucket clean the carboy and then put it back in the clean carboy? Thanks

Last question I promise! In step number 4 the recipe called for me to rack it over after the sediments reaches 1/2-3/4" I rack it over to another carboy correct? What if I only have one carboy? Can I put it into my primary fermenter bucket clean the carboy and then put it back in the clean carboy? Thanks

Yup, that is exactly what you do in the case that you only have one carboy.

Latest posts

Back