Welch's concord with the super-sugar method

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ust a finished the first couple steps of the wine... Sorry to bother you but I have 3 questions

1.You said that I leave it 24 hours before putting in the yeast in order to know if the primary is sanitized... How do I know if it's not sanitized?

2.Also I put sugar and KMETA until I got a hydrometer reading of about 1.10 not 1.150 like you said in the recipe because I didn't want 20% alcohol so I reduced the sugar to get about 13-15% alcohol... Is this ok?

3.And last question sorry to bother you... At what SG do I switch it to the carboy and at what SG do I rack it over... Since I changed the original SG I'm pretty sure this would change too right?

Thanks a lot!
MARK

1. Don't know where you read that either. Just wait 24hrs. before pitching yeast.
2. You should have stuck to the recipe and pushed it to 1.150. You wouldn't end up with 20% alcohol, your yeast will die off around 13.5-14%. It can't produce 20%.
3. Good question, now that you have changed things. I racked mine when it was 1.025-1.035 because that is where the yeast died off. You can probably wait until it is close to 1.000.

It's ok guys i put more sugar and put the starting SG at 1.150 after I got an answer from u guys on Saturday :)... And for my first question I read it on post 35 in the recipe by jsw... He said "leave for 24 hours before pitching yeast ( this is primarily to make sure your water and primary are sanitized)"

1/4 tsp k meta

Sugar

Blend liquid, sugar, k meta to achieve 1.150. Let sit for 24 hours (this is primarily to ensure that your primary and your water are sanitized - the juice is sterile as it comes from the can.)

2.) Cheers! :dg

Here's the quote
my original question was how can I know that it wasn't sanitized properly?

Last edited:
Actually, there are a couple reasons I can think of to let the must sit for 24 hours before pitching yeast.
(This is a "generic" instruction you will find with most recipes and also kits.)

1. If you made an addition of K-meta at the beginning, the 24 hours lets it do its job and kill any wild yeasts or bacteria that would compete with the yeast you are going to add.

2. It also allows any preservatives (such as P-Sorbate) in the juice to dissipate so it doesn't hinder your yeasts during fermentation. I think Welch's uses vitamin C as a preservative (I'll have to check) which would not be an issue with this recipe. However, other brands of juice may use Sorbate.

To answer your question, you only know you took the proper precautions by adding K-meta and allowing it to do it's job before adding the yeast.

Last edited:
Makes sense! Thanks! I used 14 cans of Old Orchards grape concentrate and 5 welchs because the store didn't have enough welchs and they're both preserved with Vitamin C... So I'm happy it wouldn't inhibit the yeast!
I think both companies taste the same so I'm happy!...

One other question...

Would KMeta inhibit yeast if it was put in within the same couple hours?

K-meta will stun the yeast, but does not always kill it....so yes, it will inhibit the yeast if added about the same time.
Allowing 24 to 48 hours after adding k-meta is the rule before you add yeast.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1441813994.863041.jpg

My primary!!! What do u guys think am I doing well!? Looks like the yeast is working! But SG is still 1.150 after 3-4 days Foamy and bubbly on top.... There is a bag of raisins in the middle so don't be alarmed :)

Last edited:
Looks Great BeginnerMark!
Just one comment...trash the wooden spoon and get a plastic or stainless steel spoon.
Wood will harbor all kinds of nasty stuff.

Is it possible that it can bubble so much that it overflows the bucket overnight? I'm scared that it can make a mess

That looks exactly as it should, nice and foamy.

No, typically it is going to foam up quite a bit after stirring. It will then subside a little. It appears you have plenty of room in those buckets.

Someone told me they were worried that I will have methyl alcohol and not ethyl alcohol... They told me that if I get methyl alcohol people can go blind?!?!
Can someone explain?!

Someone told me they were worried that I will have methyl alcohol and not ethyl alcohol... They told me that if I get methyl alcohol people can go blind?!?!
Can someone explain?!

There is no danger of your getting dangerous levels of methyl alcohol from fermenting juice.

It is possible for very small amounts to be produced in fermentation, but that is not a danger. The only time you could run into danger is if you then try to concentrate by distillation.

Distillation is an illegal (for a regular person) process involving a still. Think "moonshine," or liquor. I should say that we are NOT allowed to discuss distillation on this forum at all. I think it is okay to reference it in the way that I have, that is, only to note that you should not do it, but the mods will have the last word.

In short, do not worry about methanol.

Latest posts

Back