Welch's concord with the super-sugar method

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, tough call. You can certainly add it now but not knowing what the SG was in the beginning is going to make it tough, so you don't add too much.
I would probably just let it run dry, then backsweeten it.
I am guessing, and it is only a guess, that you started with an SG of 1.095-1.100.
Not the super sugar method, but a safer bet for a good end result.

As far as I am concerned, I don't mess with simple syrup. You are adding in more water/liquid doing it that way. I just add straight sugar and mix it well. Never had any problems doing it this way.
If you make this again, and I highly recommend you do, for a 3 gal. batch add 12 cans concentrate(equals=144oz. liquid) and 242 oz. water. This makes a total of 386 oz. of liquid which is 3 1/4 gal. Then add the appropriate sugar to reach the 1.145-1.150 mark.
The reason I go to 3 1/4 gal. mark(which it may be a bit higher with the sugar addition) is to have plenty to top up with when racking. That way when all is said and done you will be bottling a full 3 gal. worth.

Many thanks for your help WFF.
I'll do as you suggest and back sweeten later.
Just getting back to making wine after my move, so I'm kinda stumbling along. I hope to get it together.
Cheers!
Tony...

Many thanks for your help WFF.
I'll do as you suggest and back sweeten later.
Just getting back to making wine after my move, so I'm kinda stumbling along. I hope to get it together.
Cheers!
Tony...

No worries, glad to help. We have all been where you are. Just keep plugging along.
One thing I have learned along the way is it is pretty hard to screw up the wine. Even if it doesn't go quite as planned, you can usually make some adjustments along the way or on the back end to salvage things.

Well, now that I've started again, I don't think there is any going back,
Really appreciate all the help here.
One of the things that is floating around in my mind:
When it comes time to bottle, I'd like to take a few bottles and add some cinnamon and cloves. Might make a nice wine to go with fruitcake during the holidays.
Thoughts?

Well, now that I've started again, I don't think there is any going back,
Really appreciate all the help here.
One of the things that is floating around in my mind:
When it comes time to bottle, I'd like to take a few bottles and add some cinnamon and cloves. Might make a nice wine to go with fruitcake during the holidays.
Thoughts?

haha
Atta boy. Now you are doing some thinking.
I did that with a gallon before. Not sure how much you would put in a bottle itself and you wouldn't have much control over the potency that way.
I put a cinammon stick and 2 cloves in a gallon carboy. Would have to look at my notes but I believe I left them in for 3-4 weeks.
Yes, it gave it a nice hint of spice.

How far away from bottling are you? Is your 3 gal. batch in one carboy or 3-1 gal. carboy?

Right now its in a plastic brewing pail. S.G. is 1.040.
By the way, figured out why I got false readings. The hydrometer was standing on the bottom of the pail.:slp This time I used a wine thief. Lesson learned.
Today makes one week in the pail. Probably should put it in the three gallon carboy tomorrow with an airlock. Tastes kinda nice.
Not sure how I'll incorporate the spices. Maybe cut out a gallon after the final rack. Or, maybe just start a separate one gallon batch, which may be the better alternative.
T...

JS Wordy, Do you have that recipe for thr Muscadine wine in your picture? I hope to ferment my first of that kind this fall and need a proven recipe! GaBoy

I do and I even think I have the thread on here. If I can find it I will message you. Sorry so late, I am not popping in here as much as before.

UNDER EDIT: Found it. Coming your way.

Last edited:
U guys think this is comparable to manischewitz concord wine? I'm looking for a good recipe for a sacramental wine or communion wine for church :) thanks guys sorry to bring this post back to life

1/4 tsp k meta

Sugar

Blend liquid, sugar, k meta to achieve 1.150. Let sit for 24 hours (this is primarily to ensure that your primary and your water are sanitized - the juice is sterile as it comes from the can.)

Can someone explain how to "blend sugar and k meta to achieve 1.150?

How much sugar do I put?

How do I get to 1.150? This is with the hydrometer right?

Thanks guys! I'm a beginner forgive my ignorance! I need very detailed stuff in order to understand :)

Messed Up

I racked to a three gallon carboy two weeks ago. Sg was 1.040.
Racked again 5 days ago. Sg was 1.030 with light activity.
Today I checked it and the sg was still 1.030.
Looks like it has stalled. :(
Is there anyway that I can save this.
Thanks for any help.
Tony...

Mmm I'm not sure but maybe add more yeast to kick start it? Don't trust me though get a second opinion too.

Just got back from the (not so local) hbs with some yeast energizer and more RC 212.
Whatayathink, throw in one or the other or both. :a1
Thinking I should rehydrate the yeast before adding.
I did this with prior batches and had success.
Thanks for any help.
Tony...

I racked to a three gallon carboy two weeks ago. Sg was 1.040.
Racked again 5 days ago. Sg was 1.030 with light activity.
Today I checked it and the sg was still 1.030.
Looks like it has stalled. :(
Is there anyway that I can save this.
Thanks for any help.
Tony...

Just got back from the (not so local) hbs with some yeast energizer and more RC 212.
Whatayathink, throw in one or the other or both. :a1
Thinking I should rehydrate the yeast before adding.
I did this with prior batches and had success.
Thanks for any help.
Tony...

(Preface: I am not an expert, and I have never made a wine with the super-sugar method.) I don't understand why you racked the wine before fermentation was over. Is this part of the super-sugar method? The lees likely had lots and lots of your yeast colony it it -- which you discarded by racking, right?

So, yes, if it were mine, I think I would make a starter with your new RC-212 and re-inoculate.

@Tony49 - shouldn't of racked it. When you add this next batch of yeast let it go to dry, then rack it.

Paul, from what I've read on this thread the idea of the super sugar method is to boost the starting gravity to include what you would normally back sweeten with after the wine went dry. Tony didn't take an initial gravity reading, so we have no idea if his ferment stalled because it reached alcohol toxicity or if it ran out of nutrients, which Welchs is known to do. In the perfect super sugar method world, you pick a yeast that will give up the goat and leave enough sweetness to mimic fermenting dry, adding Kmeta and sorbate and backsweeting.

That all said it is an inexact science at best, and may take several batches with the same yeast to figure out where it's gonna crap out and what residual sugar level it will leave.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Thank you gentlemen for your help.
This will go back to the primary today with a new yeast infusion.
One thing I will never do again:
Rack too early.
One thing I will always do:
Rehydrate my yeast.
Your assistance is very much appreciated.
Tony...

Last edited:
Still 1.030 this A.M. Stirred in some yeast energizer.
Still1.030 this P.M. no activity.
Give it one more day then dump it.
T...

Back