weather rant!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dufresne11

Reaction score
I live in a beautiful tree lined neighbohood.... At least I used to. In the last five months my neighborhood has been hit by a tornado, (yes it hit my neighborhood and no I am not exaggerating). A hurricane, ( kind of fizzled out by the time it hit here) and now a foot of snow. We have been without power a total.of 9 days so far this year. I have lost five trees on my lot and my neighborhood went from tree lined to treeless... Getting a generator as soon as I get my hands on one ...

I feel your pain. Trees like all other living things come and go as part of the life cycle. I live at the edge of the Champlain Valley and the Adirondacks. We have tons of trees and right where I am I grew up with an abundance of 100 foot White Pine trees. Other areas have loads of maples and the area is one of the biggest for maple sugar bushes. 10 years ago we had an ice storm the likes of the ice age. About 2/3 of all the trees in the region lost their tops or were outright toppled. Without exaggerating the area looked like it had been nuked. What didn't die right away, many died in the following years. Then a couple years later we had a few micro-bursts that flattened swathes of trees in the region, one of which was on our farm. We lost hundreds of what beautiful pine trees remained after the ice storm.

Our region was decimated by Irene and Lee this early autumn, this after springtime flooding of Lake Champlain. The lake was at all time record high and many people lost their homes and camps this spring. Now hundreds of homes were rendered unliveable by the tropical storms and raging rivers. The flash floods in areas were over 50 feet high. We were very fotunate in that only a few unfortunate souls lost their lives.

Yes this has been a horrendous year all around. Replant some trees and they will begin the cycle over again.

Yep I feel your pain also.

2 tornadoes (we avg that many every 10 years) 5 flash floods (I think we had close to 30" of rain in about 45 days) and a early heavy wet snow bringing down many trees.

Strange weather this year!!!!

My brother in law had a breaker added to his main breaker box. If he looses electric, he can flip the breaker and power a good portion of his home with a generator.

He pulls the generator outside from the garage and plugs it into a special plug on the outside of his home. His furnace, stove, many lights etc will work without a problem.

He had to use it a few times already. Once for several days. You never know when hurricanes, tornados are going to hit. Most times we are all unpreparred.

I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow a generator from work. I am investing in a high powered generator with an automatic transfer switch this winter though. Enough is enough.

My brother in law had a breaker added to his main breaker box. If he looses electric, he can flip the breaker and power a good portion of his home with a generator.

He pulls the generator outside from the garage and plugs it into a special plug on the outside of his home. His furnace, stove, many lights etc will work without a problem.

I had my house hooked up the same way but since then added a transfer switch. That type of hook up is totally against code due to the danger of sending electric out to a line the service company thought was dead.

Our electric use to go out all of the time when we first moved here. Then a few years back when the grid blew out out in the NE I finally bought a 7500W generator. Guess what....Yep power hasn't gone out again but for an hour or two. I still start it a few times a year but have not had a necessity to use it.

Latest posts

Back