WineXpert WE Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sub Vet

Junior
Reaction score
I have completed step #3 the stabilising and clearing stage. Instructions now say to wait 8 days to clear which will be March 1st. My problem is I'm leaving to go out of town on 2/29 and will not be back until 3/8 or3/9. Shall I rack over on day 7 if the wine is clear or can I wait until I return back home to proceed to step #4? Thanks

I would probably wait until you get back to give it just a bit more clearing time. The funny thing about wine is that if you rush clearing, it won't be clear. If you give it a bit more time, it just gets clearer.

These W.E. kits almost never clear in 8 days anyway. Leave it to clear longer ad when you come back it should be clear by then. Just rack it off the lees when ou get home.

You will have absolutely no problems. That is actually a minimum time frame. I am only anal about getting the wine from primary to secondary. After that I go by the wine, not thedirections meaning I stabilize by the SG, not the directions, etc.Enjoy your trip and have fun. No need to worry about your wine.

I have not been making wine for long but I definitely usually let the wine clear for more than 7 days and have let it go for much longer than that. You will be fine, enjoy your trip

Bold red W.E. Kits do generally take longer to clear, at least thats been my experience. I have a Lodi Old Vines Zin that has some sediment after letting it sit for a couple of months..........

Take your time, as long as it's top up properly, you can leave it for months......... and probably should.

As said by others, W.E. kits take longer to clear because of the fining agents they use but they do work well. I believe that they should modify their instructions to allow for extra clearing time, especially for reds as it is hard to tell when a red is truly clear. The higher end reds have a lot of solids and require even more time so give it a few weeks minimum and then rack to clean carboy and give it more time, say a month or 2 and you will be rewarded by a better wine with little or no sediment in your bottles.

Back