WineXpert WE Petit Verdot w/ Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat50496

Reaction score
Putting this in the bucket tonight and I know a couple of you have made this one. Just wondering if there are any early (very early I know) reviews on this. I'd like to know what to look forward to. Also, any suggestions before getting it started? Thanks

No suggestions, except to be patient. This guy will take a couple of years to get really good. Blend it with a Cab Franc (75% cab franc) and you will have a really great blend.

Just finished clearing and stabilizing mine. I think I am going to leave in the carboy for about six more months and then bottle.

Impressions so far...probably could have consumed most of this already. Looks, smells and tastes great already. It is going to be extremely difficult to stay away from this one. Gotta keep workn' on the pipeline! :ib

Bottled this bear tonight! My sample was awesome! I really enjoy the oakey nose this one gives. Also, has a good body compared to other we kits without grapeskins and less expensive. In a couple of days it goes horizontal and down to the basement until...:D

I bottled mine as well, and I'm thinking it's very much like a Cab Sav blended with a Merlot. Mine is quite young and drinkable already, so it will likely we a winner in 6-12 months.

Bottled this on 6/16. It is now almost 4 months (I measure age from stabilization date), and I have a split reserved for tasting at 6 months. I do have a question though:

When I bottled this, my wife prepped the bottles, and instead of rinsing with Kmeta, she accidently used Ezy Clean. We didn't rinse the bottles before filling. My fault for not checking, but will this be a problem? Will there be an increased chance of spoilage and will I need to consume this sooner than desirable? I really hope this insn't a potential problem because I'm finally at the point where I have enough stock to keep my wines for over a year before putting them into rotation. Thanks for any insight on this.

Bottled this on 6/16. It is now almost 4 months (I measure age from stabilization date), and I have a split reserved for tasting at 6 months. I do have a question though:

When I bottled this, my wife prepped the bottles, and instead of rinsing with Kmeta, she accidently used Ezy Clean. We didn't rinse the bottles before filling. My fault for not checking, but will this be a problem? Will there be an increased chance of spoilage and will I need to consume this sooner than desirable? I really hope this insn't a potential problem because I'm finally at the point where I have enough stock to keep my wines for over a year before putting them into rotation. Thanks for any insight on this.

Ezy Clean is not made for cleaning wine-related items, so I have no idea what its results may be. I would contact the maker and ask them for advice before drinking the wine.

However, I hope you mean Easy Clean. If Easy Clean, it is a beer/wine sanitizer, so you will likely be OK; it is just not the recommended method for sanitizing bottles at bottling time.

Ezy Clean is not made for cleaning wine-related items, so I have no idea what its results may be. I would contact the maker and ask them for advice before drinking the wine.

However, I hope you mean Easy Clean. If Easy Clean, it is a beer/wine sanitizer, so you will likely be OK; it is just not the recommended method for sanitizing bottles at bottling time.

Yes, I meant Easy Clean. Thanks Robie. Maybe I'll open that split tonight just to make sure there aren't any off flavors being imparted to the wine:dg

Yes, I meant Easy Clean. Thanks Robie. Maybe I'll open that split tonight just to make sure there aren't any off flavors being imparted to the wine:dg

Open one to test it out? Any excuse is better than no excuse at all. :d

Repost from the other thread:

I brewed this kit. I like it, but its still young at 2 months in the bottles. The main reason why I chose this kit was because I wanted to try a kit with skins. The thing I like about this wine is the first-taste. Its dry-fruit in the glass for the first 5 minutes (1/2 inch) but then gets complex with tanins like a mild Ausie Shiraz. It kinda sneaks in, but in a good way. I love people's response to serving this because usually people compliment on the first few sips on how nice it tastes, then also compliment the complexity in the bottom of their glass. I hope it does not change this characteristic over time.

Latest posts

Back