Quantcast

WE LE18 Barbaresco-Oak/Tannin Recommendations?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
I have had this kit in a carboy now for 3 months after a 8-week EM. I want to cellar this for at least 12 months before I bottle.
I am seeking some recommendations for oak and/or tannin additions which could help this Nebbiolo. I have Tannin Riche Extra, as well as Tannin Complex, and have a LHBS nearby for any cubes or spirals.
Thanks in advance!

Brian55

Senior Wino
Reaction score
I have had this kit in a carboy now for 3 months after a 8-week EM. I want to cellar this for at least 12 months before I bottle.
I am seeking some recommendations for oak and/or tannin additions which could help this Nebbiolo. I have Tannin Riche Extra, as well as Tannin Complex, and have a LHBS nearby for any cubes or spirals.
Thanks in advance!
Did you use the cubes that came with the kit?

Brian55

Senior Wino
Reaction score
Yes, right after racking off the gross lees. It was 60 g of French Oak cubes, and after 2 weeks it tasted very oaky, so I removed them at that time.
I would suggest leaving it on the oak cubes for much longer next time, two weeks isn't long enough. The oak will fade with time.

I did a 4 week EM, racked, vacuum degassed, racked again, added the 60g of cubes that came with the kit, plus a dozen Xoakers and let it sit for about 6 months. Tasted fairly decent when I racked it again a couple weeks ago. It's ready to bottle, but it's waiting in line behind two other reds and a white.

Brian55

Senior Wino
Reaction score
Also added a scoop of FT Rouge at the beginning of ferment, but it's a bit late for that. Make your oak and tannin additions based on what it tastes like when you go to rack it again. Have them on hand in case you decide to add them.

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
Also added a scoop of FT Rouge at the beginning of ferment, but it's a bit late for that. Make your oak and tannin additions based on what it tastes like when you go to rack it again. Have them on hand in case you decide to add them.
Got it. Yeah, I over-oaked a wine last year and was a bit overly cautious this time. I like a little, but not a ton, lol. I will taste it tonight when I rack and see.

Brian55

Senior Wino
Reaction score
Got it. Yeah, I over-oaked a wine last year and was a bit overly cautious this time. I like a little, but not a ton, lol. I will taste it tonight when I rack and see.
I've over-oaked several times, but it has always faded to perfection within a few years. Although it can be tough to let them sit, especially when you don't have a ton of inventory.

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
I tasted it and while it’s very nice right now, the tannins that I was expecting are just not there.

Brian55

Senior Wino
Reaction score
Perfect time to utilize some of that Tannin Complex you have on hand.

Swedeman

Reaction score
I tasted it and while it’s very nice right now, the tannins that I was expecting are just not there.
My I ask what you mean, is the level of tannins lower than what you expect from a Barbaresco wine or that it has less tannins than what you like, regardless of type of wine? A Barbaresco wine has less tannins than a Barolo.

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
My I ask what you mean, is the level of tannins lower than what you expect from a Barbaresco wine or that it has less tannins than what you like, regardless of type of wine? A Barbaresco wine has less tannins than a Barolo.
I’ve had Borolo before, and the tannins were just waaaay over the top for me. I had a Barbaresco and the tannins were perfect for my likeness. This one tastes very nice, but just lacks the tannins. I plan to hit it with the mid-range that Morewine suggests.

Latest posts