WE LE18 Barbaresco-Oak/Tannin Recommendations?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
I have had this kit in a carboy now for 3 months after a 8-week EM. I want to cellar this for at least 12 months before I bottle.
I am seeking some recommendations for oak and/or tannin additions which could help this Nebbiolo. I have Tannin Riche Extra, as well as Tannin Complex, and have a LHBS nearby for any cubes or spirals.
Thanks in advance!

I have had this kit in a carboy now for 3 months after a 8-week EM. I want to cellar this for at least 12 months before I bottle.
I am seeking some recommendations for oak and/or tannin additions which could help this Nebbiolo. I have Tannin Riche Extra, as well as Tannin Complex, and have a LHBS nearby for any cubes or spirals.
Thanks in advance!
Did you use the cubes that came with the kit?

Yes, right after racking off the gross lees. It was 60 g of French Oak cubes, and after 2 weeks it tasted very oaky, so I removed them at that time.
I would suggest leaving it on the oak cubes for much longer next time, two weeks isn't long enough. The oak will fade with time.

I did a 4 week EM, racked, vacuum degassed, racked again, added the 60g of cubes that came with the kit, plus a dozen Xoakers and let it sit for about 6 months. Tasted fairly decent when I racked it again a couple weeks ago. It's ready to bottle, but it's waiting in line behind two other reds and a white.

Also added a scoop of FT Rouge at the beginning of ferment, but it's a bit late for that. Make your oak and tannin additions based on what it tastes like when you go to rack it again. Have them on hand in case you decide to add them.

Also added a scoop of FT Rouge at the beginning of ferment, but it's a bit late for that. Make your oak and tannin additions based on what it tastes like when you go to rack it again. Have them on hand in case you decide to add them.
Got it. Yeah, I over-oaked a wine last year and was a bit overly cautious this time. I like a little, but not a ton, lol. I will taste it tonight when I rack and see.

Got it. Yeah, I over-oaked a wine last year and was a bit overly cautious this time. I like a little, but not a ton, lol. I will taste it tonight when I rack and see.
I've over-oaked several times, but it has always faded to perfection within a few years. Although it can be tough to let them sit, especially when you don't have a ton of inventory.

Perfect time to utilize some of that Tannin Complex you have on hand.

I tasted it and while it’s very nice right now, the tannins that I was expecting are just not there.
My I ask what you mean, is the level of tannins lower than what you expect from a Barbaresco wine or that it has less tannins than what you like, regardless of type of wine? A Barbaresco wine has less tannins than a Barolo.

My I ask what you mean, is the level of tannins lower than what you expect from a Barbaresco wine or that it has less tannins than what you like, regardless of type of wine? A Barbaresco wine has less tannins than a Barolo.
I’ve had Borolo before, and the tannins were just waaaay over the top for me. I had a Barbaresco and the tannins were perfect for my likeness. This one tastes very nice, but just lacks the tannins. I plan to hit it with the mid-range that Morewine suggests.

I thought I’d follow up on this post, as I am now half way through the first bottle of what I feel is the best “kit” wine I’ve made to date. On December 29th of 2019 I added 3 g. of Tannin Complex, adjusted my SO2 to 40 ppm, and let this sleep until I bottled it on May 25. It smells of roses, and really has the best nose of anything I’ve made. The mouth feel is spot on, and the finish slowly creeps up and feels EXACTLY how I had hoped. Stroke of luck? I dunno. I really didn’t tweak it much.
The question now is, do I continue to enjoy bottle after bottle NOW? Or should I set some aside for another 6 months and see if it has progressed, or degreased? Oh what a quandry!
Bottom line is, I am really happy with this. I’m a big Zin fan, and the number of Eclipse Zins that I’ve made don’t quite compare to this Nebbiolo.
I’d like to hear input from others who might have started drinking this kit.

The question now is, do I continue to enjoy bottle after bottle NOW? Or should I set some aside for another 6 months and see if it has progressed, or degreased? Oh what a quandry!

Here was advice I was given. Take your best guess at how long you think this batch will take to start decreasing. (If you don't know, just guess 5 years, or the maximum time you would be willing to wait.) Take that time period, and divide it by the number of bottles you have. (So, let's say 5 years/30 bottles = 2 months.) Wait two months, then enjoy another. At that point, once again take your best guess at how long it will last, and repeat your calculation.

If you do this, and you notice the wine is starting to go downhill, you will drink them more often and avoid that problem. If, on the other hand, you feel like it continues to improve, this procedure will delay the depletion of your stock, allowing you to enjoy more of it as it peaks.

I have this coded into my "Wine Cellar Tracker" spreadsheet, which also tells me which wine to drink next.

Here was advice I was given. Take your best guess at how long you think this batch will take to start decreasing. (If you don't know, just guess 5 years, or the maximum time you would be willing to wait.) Take that time period, and divide it by the number of bottles you have. (So, let's say 5 years/30 bottles = 2 months.) Wait two months, then enjoy another. At that point, once again take your best guess at how long it will last, and repeat your calculation.

If you do this, and you notice the wine is starting to go downhill, you will drink them more often and avoid that problem. If, on the other hand, you feel like it continues to improve, this procedure will delay the depletion of your stock, allowing you to enjoy more of it as it peaks.

I have this coded into my "Wine Cellar Tracker" spreadsheet, which also tells me which wine to drink next.
This sounds like some good advice. Luckily, I have built up a decent reserve of “younger drinkers”which I can turn to while others age. Now, I’ll just need to put my patience to the test Thank you!

Latest posts

Back