Other Wayy B4 New Bee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble

Reaction score
Are Kits and Concentrates the same thing?

Are people calling winemaking products like
"Alexander's Riesling* Grape Concentrate"
a Kit ?

"Alexander's Riesling* Grape Concentrate" is another question-
see my next posted question: Spelling Bee Sip-up or Immitation Concentrate?

I would not call concentrates a kit. When I think of "a kit", I think everything you need to produce wine, in a box, except for bottles and corks. And maybe you have to add water to that as well.

Concentrate is just the juice and you probably have to add water. You pick the yeast, add meta bisulphite, maybe extra sugar, add your own flavoring pack.

Kits also come with fairly detailed instructions, add this now, wait 14 days, add that.

Nice KITty

I would not call concentrates a kit. When I think of "a kit", I think everything you need to produce wine, in a box, except for bottles and corks. And maybe you have to add water to that as well.

Concentrate is just the juice and you probably have to add water. You pick the yeast, add meta bisulphite, maybe extra sugar, add your own flavoring pack.

Kits also come with fairly detailed instructions, add this now, wait 14 days, add that.

That sounds like, well just plain common sense!:sm

Both Concentrates and Kits gives you the magic beans;
Yet in both cases, you still need to have extra stuff:
With the concentrate - one is really on his own and only given
a general(ly incomplete) guideline
but in the kit's case (pun intended), there are the necessary packets...
that allow one to follow a prescribed dogmatic process step by step successfully.

Bottom Line:
Wine Style kits are concentrate + X
X = a specific process + some of the required chemicals unique to said wine style.

Sort of what common sense told me but it helped to walk through terms here.

What started me was wondering why I needed to acid test; shouldn't the company have done that before they canned it for me? (I had read somewhere that kits already had been adjusted) but I bought concentrate and kits CONTAIN concentrate, so I should be covered right? but they didn't SAY concentrates so you see how I got here, right?

Looks like I need a lunch break. Thanks for letting me get my thoughts in order. Nice KITty.

Last edited:
I do believe the concentrate in good kits are far superior to alexanders. Not that Alexanders is not good for its purpose. I have made a wonderful cab/blackberry with alexanders.

Alexander's is more concentrated and comes in a can.

Kits generally have juice that a less concentrated, or not at all, and comes in a bag that is anywhere from 12-18 gallons.

So you add more water to Alexander's than you do to a kit.

Latest posts

Back