WineXpert Watery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

930man

Junior
Reaction score
Help, I made some 7.5l kits and they taste watery. SG was good and good achol. I have already bottled them. Is there anything I can do to help them? Do I just have to age them a long time or open them up and do something else?

Welcome to the forum 930man. Don't bother to open them, there really isn't much you can do now except let it age some for say 6 months. It will never get more body, but will tend to smooth out a bit and taste better with a bit of age. You have 2 options in the future. Either buy higher end kits which don't use as much water in them or you can get a Mosti Mondiale kit. Even the Vinifera Noble line has much more body for about the same price. If you can affor the Rennaissance line or higher, you will be rewarded even more.

Im guessing this is a red wine kit as I started the same way and was very displeased with the smaller kits. Since then Mosti Mondiale has come out with their versions and people say they are much better. I havent tried these but just want to let you know this IS NOT how all kits are just alot of the smaller RED wine kits. I do nothing smaller then 16 liter kits typically with the grape skin packs and will never look back as they are awesome. Thye cost a little more but when you figure out what 30 bottles is divided by the $ of a good kit it really isnt much more per bottle and is WAY cheaper then commercial and most of the time better then a $25 commercial bottle.

Hope I'm not stepping across any toes or anything but I saw a thread about watery kits here - http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5877

and the gist of this conversation was they can be watery seeming early on then aftermore bottletime, they seem much better. The magic of time in a bottle!

I can only speak about the one red kit I've done so far, and it wasn't maybe the most rich bodied wine but wasn't too disappointing either at bottling, and it's only been in the bottle for about 6 or 8 weeks so far, so not that I really know what I'm talking about
smiley9.gif

(In now way dismissing the advice that a better quality kit produces a better quality wine though)

They will improve in flavor and not taste as waterywith age but will always be light bodied. Many would add extra oak to add additional tannins to help with the body but in reality they just make a decent table wine. I actually like these lighter bodied wines with a meal.

Thanks for the help. I was afraid that there wasn't anything that i could do, except wait. Great idea to use them to top off other upscale kits, which I have already started to buy and they are great. Edited by: 930man

My first kit was the 7.5L kit. It was a Lambrusco MM Domain tradtion. I made it and it was horrible. I waited 6 months and it was horrible... A year, still bad. After about 16 months I am concidering dumping. The bottles are more important to me at this point!!!

Sorry to hear that! I am not fond of the red wine kits below 15 liter but havent tried any of the Mosti Mondiale small kits. Everyone is saying that are very good but after a few other brand small kits Im not really willing to step back down. I do the 16-18 liter RJS kits with grape skins and every 1 them is super so Im sold on them. I was lucky enough with my small kits that I had a friend who actually loved them better then the big 1's I was making so i gave them all to him in exchange for some venison and got all my bottles back.

mmm... I love spicy venison jerky!!! Ya I am staying away from the low kits as well. I haven't done anything but all-juice since. I would love to try one of the 16-18l kits. unfortunitly they don't have a lambrusco(my Fav).

Latest posts

Back