Walkers Juice Instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill B

Reaction score
For those of you who will be making wine from Walkers 100%juice I have made some minor changes.

(Note)The juice has been inoculatedwith the proper amount of Potassium Metabisulfate so none is needed at start. More will be added later. Also they have been adjusted to 21 Brix and I have found the PH to be spot on.

Red Raspberry acid 1.61 Ph 3.2

Bluebe rry acid 1.46 Ph 3.0

Don't worry about the high acidity. If you plan on resweeting(recommended) it will have a nice finish.

Equipement needed

6 or 7 gal US primary fermenterwith lid and airlock

1 5 gal Carboy

Hydrometer

Long spoon

Lets start.(1)Clean and sanitize all equipement

(2) Open juice and pour very slowly into primary fermenter then take an SG reading.

(3) Add the yeast nutrient which comeswith juice and gently stir. to disolve. sprinkle the yeast over the juice (do not stir) cover and attach the airlock.Fermentation should begin within 24 hours. (temp 70 to 75 is good)

(4) After fermentation has completed (7 to 10 days) check SG It should be 1.010 or lower rack to Carboy and let sit for an additional 10 days. Do not top up. After 10 days rack to either a primary or to another Carboy add 1/4 tsp Potassium Metabisulfate.

(Note) if adding Oak (recommended)add at this time and let sit in a cool dark place for 12 to 15 weeks. I use 1 16" American House Toast stave. Oak beans will work just as good.

(5) after 12 weels rack to a Carboy then I add 1 pack K.C. Superclear. After a few dayswine should be clear. I then rerack to a primary fermenter.

(6) you are now ready to sweeten.

Make a batch of simple syrup 2 cups sugar 1 cup water in a sauce pan. Heat on a stove until well disolved then remove. Let sit till room temp. (Note) you will most likely need 2 batches so make a double batch)

(7) slowly add sugarsyrupa little at a time stiring gently to mix well. You will need to Taste offen till you reach your desired sweetness

When you have reached you desired sweetness take and note the SG. This you will need for future reference. Then add 1/4 tsp Potassium Metabisulfate and 1 1/4 tsp Potassium Sorbate I mix each in 1/4 cup Water and add to wine stiring gently. This the only water I add to entire batch.

You are now ready to bottle. I have waited 12 hrs and I have bottledright away either is ok. (Note) I do filter my wines however this is your call. Then I bottle

Im don't believe I missed anything and I'll be taking pictures soon to follow along with instructions. Good luck

Bill, I see a lot of "gentle stirring" in your process. Do you not have to "whip the stuffings" out of it RE: Degass the wine

Quick ans NO. The juices ferment out very nice with very little lees. The several rackings I do Plus the stiring I do when adding the K.C. Super clear is all I have needed. I have made 3 Blackberry 2 Red Raspberry and 1 Cherry with no problem. This might change on other juices but so far not needed.

Bill

Bill,
First of all, thanks for the preceding instructions for red raspberry and blueberry juices. I received my pail of red raspberry yesterday and will be getting it started soon.

I noticed you have made a cherry wine using their juice:
Would it be safe to assume that the foregoing instructions would apply to the cherry juice also?

In your opinion, how does the finished cherry wine compare to the raspberry wine?

Thanks in advance......Otto

Otto, Sorry I took so long to ans. The Cherry and all others I have made Blueberry, Traminette, Lambruska Blend Blackberry, Red Raspberry, all have the same instructions. The Cherry Is not bad maybe with a bit of ageing it will improve, all in all Im very happy with the juices. Any ques please don't hesitate to PM me or here on the forum. Oh before I forget I did not add Oak to the Cherry. I did add Oak to the Blueberry, Red Rasp. and Lambruska Blend. I have not decided if I will ad to the Traminette yet. I'm still thinking about it.

Bill

Notes on MLF:

1. These juices are treated with sulfites to 50 ppm, so if you are thinking of doing a MLF (malolactic fermentation) remember any amount of sulfites will interfere with the ability of the MLF to start. Only after the fermentation has caused the sulfite to dissipate off the batch is safe to start a MLF.

2. Wines made from fruits other than grapes will not benefit from MLF, after all it's the fruitiness of these types of wine that make them distinct.

3. What I have found is that any of the grape juices from Walkers will benefit from cold stabilization.

Masta, have you had these delivered to your house or did you drive there and pick up?

Wade, Ive had these delivered to my house. What can I do for you.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

I was just curious as to how they were received and what service they use. I would like to try a batch eventually as country wines is my favorite.

Wade, they generally use UPS. I don't know what you cost for shipping will be but for me here in GA its about $18.00 or so from NY to GA5 gal of pure juice. I called them the other day to find out if they are planning any new juices for this season. So far they indicated that they will discontinue the white Plum bot will be adding a Black Current (maybe) and maybe 2 others. They are closed now and will reopen around Sept 20.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Thanks Bill and Black Currant is my favorite and will be in my house! I will check out there website right now!!!!!!!!!

Wade ther website is not up to date, they show a lot of (out of stock) items not sure when they will update . If you call, there is usually some one there.

Out of curiosity I wrote an email asking about shipping costs for a five gallon pail. I was told shipping would cost $30 for the five gallon pail to be shipped to DFW.

Thanx guys, I guess Ill have to grab more 5g. carboys cause theres a few Id like to make.

It does get cheeper the more you order. So far I have around 60 gal to order maybe more by end of Sept. If you can I believe 10 or more the shipping lowers . This is not all mine but I'll be making wine for others. They will give bulk discount.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0">Bill

Would love to order that much but if I did my wife would
10_1_117.gif
me!

Back