WineXpert VR Reisling Kit -- How to Improve?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPBart

Reaction score
I picked up a VR Reisling kit today for $25. An acquaintance and fellow-winemaker recently passed away, and his widow called me to see if I was interested in any of his equipment or supplies.Ipurchased a few things, including a VR Reisling kit that was tucked under away under a workbench. I wasn't really that interested (haven't done much with kits lately), but the lady was kind enough to think of me...

The kit is coded "0529309 0261" -- I assume that means it was produced in 2009, and that it's now something over a year old.

I've read some threads here and in other forums about methods to beef up low-end kits -- any suggestions on what I can/should do with this one?

Riesling is a white wine and as such should be fine with no tinkering. I would just make it up as is and enjoy it as an everyday drinking wine. I bet if you don't like it that plenty of the ladies you know will. That is never a bad thing to keep the lady friends happy.

Id probably make it as is but if you really want to play maybe golden raisins.

You might consider using no water to top up. The VR kits can be a bit thin and topping with water makes it worse. Rack down to a smaller container or top with another white wine would be my suggestion. Cheers.

I thinkI willjust make it by the instructions, and top off as needed with a decent commercial reisling.

Thanks for the replies!

PPBart said:
I thinkI willjust make it by the instructions, and top off as needed with a decent commercial reisling.
Always a good approach!

Steve

I made this kit and this kit has no flavor pak in it, so it will be completely dry. I added some simple syrup and that helped bring the flavor out. It is thin generally in terms of flavor.

Reisling isn't a good wine when dry. I loses too much aroma. IMHO.
I purchased a limited edition Reisling kit that was fermented dry by instruction - this juice had such high potential, but what a dissappointment as a dry wine. I kick myself for not arresting fermentation early. SMH
smiley18.gif

To improve, this is what I would do:
This is probably lower on alcohol to start with so I would ferment dry. I would get a can of Alexander's Reisling concentrate and add +/- 1 cup to back sweeten. Do bench trials on a few levels of addition and get spouse / friends to do taste tests. Have a SAVE THE WINE PARTY and let everyone vote on the best combination. Dry, semi sweet, sweet, granny sweet. Don't forget to add a good dose of sorbate.

You will have enough of the concentrate left to make a gallon of wine and put away a little in the freezer fo back sweetening. (Of course making this one gallon batch is part of the party, because you will have to adjust everything and that will be entertaining!!!!!!!!).

IMHO you have a great opportunity to tinker and experiment. You couldn't buy the things you will learn from this for $25 anywhere.

I usually agree with you on dry white wines but must say I made a Mosti All Juice Riesling and left it dry and it was just so clean tasting that many people loved it and kept hitting me up for more of it. Now Im out!!!!!!

One of my first kits I ever made was a VR Riesling I made. Like Wade, I left it dry and all the ladies loved it. As a kit the processing must lock in some of the flavors and aromas, because they showed through even dry. Normally I bring whites up a bit from dry to bring out the flavors and smell, but this one didn't need it.

PPBart said:
I picked up a VR Reisling kit today for $25. An acquaintance and fellow-winemaker recently passed away, and his widow called me to see if I was interested in any of his equipment or supplies.Ipurchased a few things, including a VR Reisling kit that was tucked under away under a workbench. I wasn't really that interested (haven't done much with kits lately), but the lady was kind enough to think of me...

The kit is coded "0529309 0261" -- I assume that means it was produced in 2009, and that it's now something over a year old.

I've read some threads here and in other forums about methods to beef up low-end kits -- any suggestions on what I can/should do with this one?

You always have the option of tasting the wine before bottling to decide what to do. If it is too thin for your taste after a bit of aging you can make your decision then as to whether to beef it up some.

randoneur said:
PPBart said:
I picked up a VR Reisling kit today... any suggestions on what I can/should do with this one?

You always have the option of tasting the wine before bottling to decide what to do. If it is too thin for your taste after a bit of aging you can make your decision then as to whether to beef it up some.

The initial SG was 1.074, which I thought was too low so I added sugar to bring it up to 1.082. Primary fermentation went quickly, and I racked it into secondary yesterday at SG = 1.010 (as per instructions). I'll let it go dry, rack again and age a few months in carboy.

Back