WineXpert VR Reisling Kit -- how to handle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPBart

Reaction score
I picked up a VR Reisling kit today for $25. An acquaintance and fellow-winemaker recently passed away, and his widow called me to see if I was interested in any of his equipment or supplies. I did purchase a few things, including a VR Reisling kit that was tucked under away under a workbench. I wasn't really that interested, but the lady was kind enough to think of me... The kit is coded "0529309 0261" -- I assume that means it was produced in 2009, and that it's now something over a year old.

I've read some threads here about methods to beef up low-end kits -- any suggestions on what I can/should do with this one?

Ferment it!!!
I did a VR Reisling and its getting better now at 1.5 years old. Had I known I would have kept more of it. We sweetened it with conditioner and simple syrup combo. Put it in a bucket, pitch the yeast and see what happens. Might want to get some new yeast if this is old. $25 is real cheap. That kit is around $60-80 if I recall.
Good luck

Ferment it!!!
I did a VR Reisling and its getting better now at 1.5 years old. Had I known I would have kept more of it. We sweetened it with conditioner and simple syrup combo. Put it in a bucket, pitch the yeast and see what happens. Might want to get some new yeast if this is old. $25 is real cheap. That kit is around $60-80 if I recall.
Good luck

Expiration date stamped on the yeast (Premeir Cuvee) is sometime in 2012, so should be OK. I'll start the batch today or tomorrow.

Did you do this kit yet?

My first solo adventure into wine making is the VR Riesling kit I have in my carboy right now. I started it Dec 21. I tested it again today for "Step 3" and it's ready, below .996. I also tasted it... Really tastes like Riesling already, and it tastes good. I'll stabilize tomorrow.

Kyle

Kyle - keep in mind there is no F-pak for this kit so it will be Dry. Just make sure you like your reislings dry instead of semi sweet. If you like sweet, then add some simple syrup (two parts sugar, one part water) and do some bench testing to get the right sugar content. This kit turned out great for me.

Did you do this kit yet?

My first solo adventure into wine making is the VR Riesling kit I have in my carboy right now. I started it Dec 21. I tested it again today for "Step 3" and it's ready, below .996. I also tasted it... Really tastes like Riesling already, and it tastes good. I'll stabilize tomorrow.

Kyle

I've added the sulphite, sorbate and fining agent (per kit instructions) and degassed. Topped off with Mondavi Private Selection Reisling (only reisling I had on hand at the time), and I agree that it tastes pretty good. It's sitting in the wine room, clearing nicely. I'll probably rack again in another couple of weeks, then let it set for a few months, rack again and bottle in the spring.

I've added the sulphite, sorbate and fining agent (per kit instructions) and degassed. Topped off with Mondavi Private Selection Reisling (only reisling I had on hand at the time), and I agree that it tastes pretty good. It's sitting in the wine room, clearing nicely. I'll probably rack again in another couple of weeks, then let it set for a few months, rack again and bottle in the spring.

I should have thought of doing that... I topped it off with cool water as per the instructions. I have a couple of bottles of Reisling I could have used. Ah well, live and learn. I just cleared a few hours ago!

How much water did you add to top it off?

A LOT. From about here up... When I did step #2 racking, I feel that I left too much in the primary fermenter with the sediment. The last bit got stirred up quite a bit when I tipped the primary to get at it with the siphon rod. I shed a tear when I cleaned that bucket with so much of the wine in there.

001_reisling_topup.jpg

...I'll probably rack again in another couple of weeks, then let it set for a few months, rack again and bottle in the spring.

Racked yesterday in prep for bottling. Taste is weak, no body. Thinking about adding some white grape concentrate to bring up the flavor.

Comments?

I added quite a bit of sugar water to this before bottling. It was thin but the simple syrup brought out the flavor and we still like this kit and have a few bottles left from 2 years ago.

Racked yesterday in prep for bottling. Taste is weak, no body. Thinking about adding some white grape concentrate to bring up the flavor.

Local supply shops (2) both out of white grape concentrate; finally I just added a couple of cans of Welsh's White concentrate, let it sit for a couple of days, then bottled. Taste is much improved, now pretty good(!)

Latest posts

Back