WineXpert Vr merlot in 5 gallons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsmh2

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

Has anyone made VR in 5 gallons instead of the recommended 6 gallons?

My local wine shop recommended I do it this way for a more full bodied wine. I am about a week away from bottling and was wondering if anyone else has tried VR this way.

Thanks.

Also, to add to my above question I forgot to mention that the local wine shop that recommended I make the VR in 5 gallons ONLY recommends to their customers to make it in 5 gallon batches and not 6 since they recognize that VR can be weak when making 6 gallons. Also when making it in 5 gallons they told me to not change the amount of ingredients added, use the entire packet with each ingredient as you would with 6 gallons.

I do this with my cheap kits to get more flavor. Just be certain to check the SG and have it in a passable level. If you have packets of ingredients use them all. Sometimes lower priced kits can be weak when made to a full six gallon.

My local brew house recommended the same thing. That kit makes 20% less wine increasing the cost per bottle. So I am now leaning towards the more expensive selection kit and going for the full 6 gallons. Decisions....

Hi..

No John... I don't try this till yet. You have done a great job and also motivate others to do this. I will definitely try out this experiment and then will tell you about its effects and what will happen if we use 5 gallons instead of 6.

Back