Visitors came a callin'

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A while back I had a Personal Message from a forum member. He said he and his wife were heading east in July and would like to come visit a bit. Finally the 22nd or 23rd was determined as an approximate time of arrival. Monday afternoon it was fairly good outside (not raining) so I decided to go out and work in the vineyard. I was hedging and generally straightening up an overgrown row of Leon Millot when a friendly face came strolling down the row. Announcing himself he said "Well I found you!"

"Yes , you did, I replied" as Barney had made his way from Wisconsin to our little place in upstate New York! hannabarn (Barney) and his wife Betty had driven 1200 miles in their pickup to visit relatives in the east and I was privileged enough to get a visit from them.

We had a great visit and decided to go and have some dinner. Since I wasn't expecting them for another day or so, Cindy hadn't prepared anything so we just went out to dinner. Nothing fancy just a good meal at one of the local Oriental Buffets. We visited a few hours until it started getting dark and after showing them a local place they could get maple syrup and jams, we parted ways.

Earlier Barney broke out a box with a bunch of wines in it and said I could have any or all of them. Well you know I want to try all of them! I had to send him home with a few of mine to try.

We had a great time hannabarn! Just wish I had more time to spend with you and show you all the sights.

Here is Barney, Betty and Cindy-my wife.
20090723_145922_100_5268_Medium.jpg

And THE WINES! They look great. I can't hardly wait to try them all!
20090723_150300_100_5271_Medium.jpg

Thats great! What are the 2 bottles surrounding the Cranberry Blackberry?

Your monitor must be as fuzzy as this one. I can't read them either. The one on the right is the ORPA - Orange Pineapple Raspberry Apple if I remember right. I will have to check the other one for you tomorrow.

Looking at it real hard I think its Cranberry Orange. I thought thats what the other 1 was but was trying to identify a fruit name so I would have never thought thats what it was.

The Rubbles in New York! How nice.

I'm hoping to drive North to visit you Waldo.... I'll even bring wine with me.....

gaudet said:

I'm hoping to drive North to visit you Waldo.... I'll even bring wine with me.....

smiley1.gif
How about in September...Could make it down to Lake DeGray for Scottys shindig together. Me, you, Dragonmaster, maybe even Peter Z could drive down and join us

Waldo said:
gaudet said:

smiley1.gif
How about in September...Could make it down to Lake DeGray for Scottys shindig together. Me, you, Dragonmaster, maybe even Peter Z could drive down and join us

Perhaps you folkswould considercalling it a FVW meet of some sort and just have it the same time and place as ours--we are going to try and make it a yearly thing. in fact most of us are going to make reservations a year in advance this time so we can be right next to one another.

I'm just saying this to try for larger turnout for FVW next year.

Not that waldo is not enough
smiley36.gif

Yes Wade it is Cranberry Orange and the other one is ORPIA or Orange-Pineapple/Apple.

I hope the weary travelers have made it home by now, unless they stopped at a few more visitors on the way home.

I'm gonna make it out your way someday rrawhide...........

Won't be anytime soon, but I would love to someday........

By that time you and I will have to put on our depend and brake the electric wheel chairs out and set out on our long adventures to the backyard...... LOL.....

It's always great when Forum members who have helped each other can finally meet and share stories, wine and even dinner together.

Wades on my list one of these days also. We have a cottage out on Cape Cod, maybe next summer Wade can get away with his family for a few days and come out with us and enjoy some good wines and some good seafood!

Cape Cod !!! Good Wines !!!! Seafood !!!!
smiley4.gif
Oh crap..he said Wade didn't he
smiley19.gif

Waldo said:
gaudet said:

smiley1.gif

That would be great, I can't tell what my schedule will be for another month. Wife and I don't have a camper or tents, so we'd have to stay at a local motel/hotel. But until I know what I work I can't make plans. I already requested 2 weeks off in Oct and it was approved. They might not smile upon one for Sept as well. We shall see.

Waldo said:
Cape Cod !!! Good Wines !!!! Seafood !!!!
smiley4.gif
Oh crap..he said Wade didn't he
smiley19.gif

I'm sure that it would be a great honor for Wade and Me if you and Kathy could join us........... Just assume when ever I throw out an invitation, that you are automatically included
smiley36.gif

Air fare is coming back down........................

I have been to the Cape a few times as my grandmother used to live in Yarmouthport. Its a beautiful place and I would love to take you up on that offer some day but will need much planning on my behalf as my boss is a prick about time off and we no longer get vacations at work.
smiley13.gif

We can make it a long 3 or 4 day weekend.......... we'll talk.......... You too Waldo!

Well we finally made it back to Wisconsin after traveling almost 3000 miles. We visited a grandson in Maryland, visited Arlington National Cemetery where my brother and his wife are buried. Visited a nephew in Boston and then visited Appleman in New York. Had a very nice visit with Richard (appleman) and his wife Cindy. The visit was like we had known them for years. We traded some wines and I think I got the better deal as he included some Amerone. They are all resting comfortably after their long trip. Betty and I are doing the same. Waldo, I sure would like to head down your way! Maybe next year. Right now I am traveled out!!!

Latest posts

Back