Growing in High heat 95 F+

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando545

Reaction score
In Texas I battle just to keep my plants photosynthesizing in the heat.

I recently visited a local gardener and he would wet all of his plants during the heat of the day for 10 mins about 4 to 5 times a day. When the moisture evaporates it has a cooling effect reducing the temperature on and around the plants. His garden was so lush and green! So, recently I decided to take a stab at it. I installed some misters on my Grape rows to try and wet my plants and keep them cool.

Do any of y'all use water to cool y'alls vines down? If so, how do you do it and what sort of system do you have installed?

Here in Sierra Foothills we have 3 weeks of 100+ heat. We only irrigate for around 8 weeks of the year, 2-3X per week, but we increase it during the peak of the heat.

* moisture on young leaf tissue/ buds is a risk factor for fungus growth, you may need more spraying
* moisture stress in a plant is proportional to temperature, ie at higher temperature soil drys faster and irrigation is useful. When I worked in a nursery august watering might be four or five times a day. With hand watering we tried to water the soil not the leaf tissue, drip irrigation was on the pots.
* a dry crop gives lower yield but better flavor

I would look for local information as extension agent recommendations or copying what someone in your county does. When I lived in Houston the constant humidity gave high disease pressure. ,,, but then the hill country and ElPaso are totally different worlds.

My first thought was a mesh covering to offer shade.

I was always told not to water in direct sunlight because it could burn the leaves and fruit. Old wives tale? I dunno.

Last edited:
My first thought was a mesh covering to offer shade.

I was always told not to water in direct sunlight because it could burn the leaves and fruit. Old wives tale? I dunno.
The master gardener told me it was an old Wives Tales and then I saw it first hand which made me a believer.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

The master gardener told me it was an old Wives Tales and then I saw it first hand which made me a believer.
This year we will be experimenting with hilling potatoes. Apparently, indeterminate potatoes need to be hilled as they will continue to grow potatoes up the stem. The neat thing is 95% of all potatoes seed sold these days are determinate. One level, that's it. So it seems we may be spending all of our time hilling and then digging deep for our potatoes, just because our parent's and grandparent's did.

Speaking of wive's tales..

I will update you all with my findings.

Latest posts

Back