Viognier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will be picking up a 6.5gal bucket of Viognier soon. I have done some Concord from fresh picked grapes and some odd/end fruit wines so I am somewhat familiar with the processes.

I would like some pointers on this variety please. Oak or not oak, back sweeten, age time, etc. I have never done this type before.

Thanks!!

Definitely no oak.

Back sweeten for sure, just a tad so it is off dry to taste.

9 mo bulk age minimum more than likely, 12 mo even better.

I think a slightly off dry viognier is a better than a dry one. I've never had an oaked viognier, though I've heard that it sometimes is oaked. Guess it would really depend on what you've had and liked.

Thats what's great about winemaking, you always have the option to make it he way YOU like it!

I agree with all posts here.

Make it how you like it - i have seen that varietal with oak and w/o oak - dry and sweet.

Split the batch up - experiment see what you like.

Or buy a bottle each way - see what your palate likes..

There is a vineyard here in GA that uses hungarian oak for aging its viognier and I think the wine absolutely rocks. FWIW

paul

The vioginer I am making right now has no oak and is tasting decent. I started witha Brehm bucket, found the brix low and added some sugar. standard ferment and mlf, now 4 months in bulk, plan to start thinking about bottleing at 6 months.

Latest posts

Back