Vines are here - How long can I wait to plant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreginND

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ACK! I received 150 vines from NE Vine Supply today. A WEEK EARLY! I was expecting them late next week. I am having a planting day on May 25. I'm worried about them budding out before I can get them in the ground. I don't have any place to keep them cool so it will have to be the garage. It's going to be 83 tomorrow then cooling off into the 60's for the rest of the week. Will I have a problem with these vines?

No garage fridg? I know very little, but I would worry about them drying out in that time. Hopefully grapeman will let you know for sure.

Keep them inside in the bag and they will be fine. You can open the bag and check for moisture. If it feels dry, sprinkle some in it and reclose.

I kept mine under my deck out of the sun in the shipping container they came in for a week. I misted them down with the garden hose often. A few did start budding but it didn't seem to hurt them. Double A says in there planting instructions to let them acclimate to your vineyard for ten days before planting. I couldn't wait that long!

Back