Transplanting 1 year old vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocktop

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good day all,
During this spring's planting I planted 50 Gewurtz in a location that I would like to change.
They were planted at the end of may and I received them as dormant bare root vines.
Question: Would I be able to transplant them?
If so, when would be best, now, late fall just as they go dormant or early spring before bud break?

Thank you,

RT

Speaking as a poor winemaker but fantastic gardener it is always optimal to transplant in the late fall (in the northern hemisphere). The bigger the root ball the better but for the occasional plant that has bare roots use Myke a micorhyzonal (sp)plant nutrient that encourages root development. Also use a phosphorus heavy fertilizer or even better compost amended with conditioned manure. Also make sure it never dries completely. I like to transplant before all the leaves fall off but that is specific to your situation and ultimately if it is dormant you should be fine. Cheers.

To have successful transplanting it is important to have uniform soil moisture in the period when roots are being established. This is easy in the Midwest in spring due to spring rains, if done in a desert climate or inside a greenhouse you need to water every day. With potted nursery stock the crew will water twice or even three times a day when it is hot. ,,,,, HIGH TEMPERATURE DRYS THE WATER OUT OF SOIL! ,,, the flip side of this is root growth is faster when the soil is warm so too early doesn’t help.

There is wisdom in spring planting/ transplanting when the local garden center sells stuff. It is easier/ less watering. From a practical point big folks as Northeast Vine Supply will dig thousands of vines early and keep them dormant in refrigeration. With just a few plants dig/ move all in one day , ,,,,, and be ready to water.

I agree with Rice_Guy in that moisture is extremely important when roots are being established. I'm in zone 6a and late fall is when I get the most uniform wet conditions favorable for root growth with little irrigation or watering. This year late May and june were dry here, watering was intense when plants were young and roots weren't established yet.

Roots will still grow in the fall as soil temps don't drop as quickly as air temps.

The wisdom of spring planting, in my opinion, has more to do with people being impatient to see growth as well as fewer headaches in general for potential nursery returns. I encourage people to plant trees, shrubs etc in the fall. The downside is that there are far fewer plants available though often there is a discount so the nursery doesn't have to sit on stock for 6 months.

I’m in the Spring planting camp. Grapes are not trees or shrubs. ALL planters and vita culture experts plant in Spring. You risk losing all the root growth you achieved this year. I suggest letting them go dormant and replant while dormant.
I might ask why you need to move the vines?

Last edited:
I moved 50 vines, 1 ,2, and 3 year. I used a 42" tree spade. Vines were moved in late October in Southern Wisconsin. They all survived the move, however they all showed stress the first growing season. Looking backwards and considering the cost I would have replanted new stock. However for one year vines, you could hand excavate, and cut back this year's growth and replant as dormant vines in the spring.

Latest posts

Back