Transplanting vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffMcG

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to relocate 9 six year old vines because the block the view from my afternoon wine drinking spot.
My neighbour wants to plant them.
I plan to wait until they are dormant then dig/pull them out so how.
Any advice would be appreciated.
What is the likelihood the vines will survive?

If you try it you’ll need to do some extreme pruning to reduce the top-growth so the damaged roots don’t have to work so hard. I haven’t done it but I would think cutting back to one trunk and maybe leaving only three buds or so… and no fruit the first year or two.

What kind of vines?

I would think that the vines will survive alright. I have dug up some nebbiolo vines before and transplanted them, and they did very well. I transplanted them early in the spring while things were still dormant a bt, and then they took root during the growing season , making sure they had water when needed. Anyhow, the first year after transplanting doesn't have a lot of growth, but the second year was good, with a few actually producing a few bunches. Third year was fine, normal growth and all.

Just dig down 2 feet or so, if you can, and try to keep as much of the main taproot as possible, and you should be fine. Put them in a good 2 foot-deep hole or so, with decent dirt around it, and nature will do the rest.
Grapes are like weeds. They just grow!

Good luck

As noted above, grapes are weeds! And you will lose a lot of root so plan on trimming the top some. Spring has uniform water so it is easier to move plants. In my old days at a garden center we would sell all potted plants through summer BUT as the soil dried/ temperatures warmed up we would instruct the home owner to water every day to establish roots.
It is easy to produce new plants via cuttings when the vines are at bud swelling but before bud break. I have managed in potting mix and even just a bucket with water. Grapes are weeds, ,,, grapes need some root to get big enough to produce fruit, ,,, expect no fruit at least two years.

If you try it you’ll need to do some extreme pruning to reduce the top-growth so the damaged roots don’t have to work so hard. I haven’t done it but I would think cutting back to one trunk and maybe leaving only three buds or so… and no fruit the first year or two.

What kind of vines?
Pinot noir grapes

Thanks for your advice.
The soil around here is very fertile so I expect the root system will be pretty big.
I will move them when they are dormant, just before spring, so i don't think I would need to move them with a ball of soil, just bare rooted. I have bought roses from the plant nursery like that and I think grape vines are much the same thing.

Latest posts

Back