vacuum suction question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dderemiah

Reaction score
I am building a vacuum racking/degassing system and have a question about the strength of pump I need. I found a pump on e-bay that has the following specs:
OIL FREE THOMAS COMPRESSOR VACUUM PUMP:
Model Number 100
115V, 60HZ, 4.0A 3.5 cfm
FREE FLOW MAX: 6.6 CFM / 187 LITERS/MIN
MAX PRESSURE: 160 PSI / 11 BAR
MAX VACUUM: 27.7" HG
THERMALLY INSULATED, INSUL CLASS B
WITH CAPACITOR:
10/15uf +/- 5/10% mk
450vac cl A 25/85/21
A15E10 50/60 hz
Unit comes with molex connector and/or original wire harness

Will this have enough power to degass? Or is it over-kill? I have no idea what is a normal PSI/BAR.

22" of vacuum is the most I would ever want or ever need to apply to a carboy. Please use a regulator, hydrophobic filter, and an overflow canister in between the carboy and the pump. If you need any of thise items I have them fior sale. I also have the dble drilled bungs to do the racking from carboy to carboy as you need to create a vacum in the receiving vessel to do that.

22" of vacuum is the most I would ever want or ever need to apply to a carboy. Please use a regulator, hydrophobic filter, and an overflow canister in between the carboy and the pump. If you need any of thise items I have them fior sale. I also have the dble drilled bungs to do the racking from carboy to carboy as you need to create a vacum in the receiving vessel to do that.

Wade,

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Thanks,
Bob

My pics are all over this forum but here is another for you.

pump set up.jpg

Last edited:
Neat! I assume the blue-top canister is the overflow container?

You mentioned in your previous post of having an inline filter. Is that necessary for kit wines or just for actual crushed grape recipes? I guess the filter would help, though, even with kit preps to catch any sediment?

Thanks for the posting. Do you sell the pump/overflow items too?

Many questions!

Cheers!

Bob

I wasnt talking about a filter for filtering wine, I was talking about a filter to prevent any moisture from getting into the pump. Yes, that blue top vessel is an overflow canister. You can easily install a whole house filter in between the 2 carboys but you only filter an already clear wine otherwise it will just clog up immediately! You can filter any wine and I recommend anyone doing so if they dont let their wine bulk age for at least 6 months or they will drop sediment in their bottle. Viny, I sell these vacuum units in case you dont know and have many in stock right now. You can rack, degas, filter and bottle with them. The best part is you can rack from the floor up to your counter and never have to lift a full carboy. For some like me with a bad back its the only way to do wine making as I would pop a disc trying to pick up or put down a 6 gallon carboy. For others its just the knowing of not having to deal with a carboy breaking in your arms while moving it as many have had and some have had to had surgeries due to that. Check out the Classifieds area for pumps I have in stock. I sell the canisters, dbe drilled bungs, pumps, and filters that protect the pump. I dont sell the wine filters as I just couldnt get them cheap enough to sell them to you at a decent price with shipping.

Wade, I just PMd you regarding your stuff for sale. Couldn't find your classified ad as the vendor list of yours said to PM.

Thanks for the great info in your last post. Really helpful and really appreciated!

Bob

Wade,
That's a great picture of your setup. I had seen it somewhere else but couldn't find it yesterday. I may be interested in the whole setup and, if I do, I'll PM you. I'm all about "Easy". OMG, my price per bottle of my first kit is going to be around $20.00---I guess I'm going to have to make a lot of wine to get my ppb down. Oh well, it's only money.
I do have a few questions: What is the tube going into the receiving carboy?
Will I have to get the tubing, clamps, caps, etc. Do you include any general instructions as to how to filter, degas, bottle fill, etc. with this setup? If not, where could I get them? Like I said, I'm all about "Easy".

Thanks Wade!

Flem, what I have listed in the Classifieds section is everything from the pump to the over flow canister. Adfter that it is for you to get unless you want me to include the rest of the stuff also like clamps, dble drilled bungs, the hose to the carboy, racking canes, and hose from carboy to carboy. If you have some of this stuff then let me know and Ill adjust down. Basically the racking canes are the same you probably have as is the racking hose. You will most likely need an elbow where the hose from the pump meets the dble drilled bung and I have those also. Just let me know what pump you want, I do have a few more coming in and then Im not getting any more until some of these start going as it seems to have come to a stop.

Back