Just purchased a vacuum pump. What say ye?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoiledRotten

Reaction score
I just purchased this pump. It looks like it could handle anything I throw its way, but hopefully, it will be a good pump for my winemaking procedures. What do you guys think about this one?

vacuum pump.jpg

THOMAS COMPRESSOR VACUUM PUMP:

Model Numbers 2619 OR 2639

115V, 60HZ, 4.0A 3.5 cfm

ACCORDING TO THE THOMAS WEBSITE, WOB-L PISTON PUMPS HAVE THE FOLLOWING:

BEST PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS:

FREE FLOW MAX: 6.6 CFM / 187 LITERS/MIN

MAX PRESSURE: 160 PSI / 11 BAR

MAX VACUUM: 27.7" HG

HERE'S A LINK TO THOMAS WEBSITE. THESE UNITS WERE NOT AN ITEM THOMAS SOLD TO CUSTOMERS, SO YOU'LL ONLY FIND SIMILAR ITEMS.

THERMALLY INSULATED, INSUL CLASS B

I didn't think about a regulator. What else do I need besides a canister and the tubes. The canisters and tubes will be easy since I'm employed by a very large medical supply company. I wanted to bite the bullet and get one of the medical vacuum pumps we sell, but that is still a lot of $$$ to dump on a pump, but the canisters will be a cheap purchase. I can also get the regulators here at our cost.

I really wish you would have contacted me before purchasing something like this unless you only paid like $20. I dont sell these anymore but have a contact with a seller who sells a great product that is complete getting all the add ons will probably end up costing you same as a brand new pump complete.

Wade, I paid $39.00 + $14.00 s/h for the machine, so if it will work as good as it looks, it should be a good buy. I'm not sure what kind of regulator to get for it. Input on that would also be greatly appreciated. I've got the suction canister ($3.00) and 18' of suction tubing ($3.00) so I'll have tubing running out my ears. =no pun intended= :)

I searching through out catalog for the regulators, but not sure what will be a good fix for winemaking.

Last edited:
Ok, so you are using a regular HVAC set up. I'm looking for something a little simpler.
So, would the air regulators work using them in reverse?

Yes i am - it is more complex than it needs to be - but it is nice b/c with the multiple regulators i can actually rack multiple carboys at once..

Just as long as you can regulate it - a guage by itself that reads mercury being pulled will not work - you need to be able to control how much mercury you are pulling.

Both of those gauges in my post above are combined gauge and regulator. They are pressure regulators but it seems that if you use the outlet for the inlet, it would work with a vacuum.

Im honestly not sure what regulator would fit on that pump so Im of no help there. Youll want a hydrophobic filter also. How much is the regulator you are looking at? Just so you know I could give you a link to a brand new pump with everything including shipping for $109.

Im honestly not sure what regulator would fit on that pump so Im of no help there. Youll want a hydrophobic filter also. How much is the regulator you are looking at? Just so you know I could give you a link to a brand new pump with everything including shipping for $109.

Is the hydrophobic filter just to protect the pump from moisture?

Wade, the two regulators shown above are 8.00 and 10.00 each. I'd surely like to see the link you're referring to. If I like that better, I can always resell this vacuum on ebay.

Back