Vacuum in Carboy for long term storage ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve
I did store it for a few months. It was fully degassed and therefore did not loose its vacuum. I guess if the wine was not fully degassed, it would pull the gas from the wine the pressure would decrease.

Kevin

Steve
I did store it for a few months. It was fully degassed and therefore did not loose its vacuum. I guess if the wine was not fully degassed, it would pull the gas from the wine the pressure would decrease.

Kevin

Kevin - I wanted to know - how was the taste of the wine ?
Do you feel it got oxygenated at all ?
Do you feel that you lost any aroma ?
What type of wine was this ?

I fully understand about the decrease in vacuum if it has not been fully degassed - I thought about putting an automatic device to turn the pump on and off

Thanks for any information - I plan to test with some white wine in a 1 gallon container - leaving it approx 3/5 full

Steve
The wine was a Malbec, I couldn't see/smell any change in color, aroma, or taste and no oxidation was noted. I though it worked very well.
I did check it about every 2 weeks and verify that it stayed under vacuum (which it did).
I will be curious to see how it works on a white. I have only done this one time only because I have been getting barrels for aging.

Good luck on the experiment.

Kevin

Let me preface this by saying I know NOTHING about the science of this. However, if there were a product that allowed me to bulk age, even if it were just a few months, I would much rather have something that if I'm reading correctly, would be sure the wine is fully degassed and allow minimal air contact. Would it have a pressure gauge or something? I would prefer that to topping up.
If it's fits and works with the AIO, even better.

Sent from my iPad because I spilled wine on my MacBook. Waaaah! :(

Latest posts

Back