WineXpert V.R. White Zinfandel. I need some answers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onin24eagle

Reaction score
I started a Vintners Reserve White Zinfandel today and have some qeustions please. I am concerned about the temperature at the time I added the yeast. The tape thermometer on the outside of the primary bucket had 3 numbers showing 74/blue, 76/green, and the brightest was 78/gold. I didn't want to add the yeast at above 75, so I questioned how accurate the tape thermometer was. I grabbed my digital meat thermometer, sanitised it, put the tip into my wine, and it quickly went from 60 to 71 deg. I decided to trust the digital reading instead of the tape, but now I'm worried maybe I shouldn't have. I added the yeast, but I hope I didn't screw up. Anyone know if the digital thermometers can measure liquid accurately? Should I have trusted it? If not, what should I do know as the tape thermo reads 78, or maybe more as it stops at 78. Help!

Scott

Probably the thermometer in the juice is closest to the correct reading. The tape thermometer outside the bucket will be strongly influenced by the room temperature.
Your wine will be fine. You may start seeing a few telltale signs of fermentation later today, but don't expect it to really get going for 24-48 hours.

It's the patience thing again. Relax, and have a glass of wine!

FineWino said:
Probably the thermometer in the juice is closest to the correct reading. The tape thermometer outside the bucket will be strongly influenced by the room temperature.
Your wine will be fine. You may start seeing a few telltale signs of fermentation later today, but don't expect it to really get going for 24-48 hours.

It's the patience thing again. Relax, and have a glass of wine!

This is only my 2nd kit, and I am really trying to be patient. Patience is definitely not a strong suit for me. It's killing me that I've now spent over $500 on wine kits and wine making supplies, but really can't sit down and as you say "relax, and have a glass of wine!" Well, you know what i mean. I want to drink MY wine darnit. Anyway, I hope a thermometer expert chimes in here to shed some light. In the meantime I'm searching google for answers to thermometers.

If you have a quality digital thermometer it should gave you a good temp.

A easy way to check the accuracy , get yourself a glass of ice cubes full with water stir it, place your thermometer in thecenter of the the glass not touching the sidesstir gently . Check the temp when stable. It should read +/- 32 degrees.One or two degreesI would not worry about it.

I have a stick on tape thermo on 4 primaries and 6 carboys and they are accurate within 2 degrees on every one as I have a floating thermometer and a hydrometer/thermometer and have checked each 1 against each other. If you have 3 temps glowing it is usually the middle 1 that is closest.

Any of the above temps will work OK anyways. Keep it in a room set close to 70 and it will work fine. You certainly wouldn't kill the yeast with a temp of 78 even if it was that high. If your room is in the low 60's either move it warmer or use a brew-belt.

Update: I left to go watch the Packers kill Seattle. Upon return the tape thermo read 72. My digital thermo reads 65. I tend to want to trust the digital one so I put one of the two brew belts I just got on the bucket. I'll check the temp in the morning and report back. I don't want to keep wine upstairs where it's 70 which is why I ordered the brew belts. My basement pretty much stays at 59, so we'll see if the brew belts will work. BTW, I just left my digital thermometer's metal probe sticking through the hole in the top of the primary's lid, and that works pretty well.

onin, relax,
smiley2.gif
, I have a tape thermometer also. I know that they are not 100% accurate, but close enough.
I trust the advice of the people here in the Forum. They have not steered me wrong.
I am not a person of patience, lol, but I, like you, want the best wine made possible. Practice, practice, practice. And that is the fun part.

Taking the temp by the air on top of the wine will not be as accurate.

uavwmn said:
onin, relax,
smiley2.gif
, I have a tape thermometer also. I know that they are not 100% accurate, but close enough.
I trust the advice of the people here in the Forum. They have not steered me wrong.
I am not a person of patience, lol, but I, like you, want the best wine made possible. Practice, practice, practice. And that is the fun part.

Thanks. I am trying to relax, and I do agree the tape thermometers are fairly accurate. That is what started me worrying because when I added the yeast the tape thermo was "maxed out" at the highest number. For all I know it could have been 100 deg. since the tape only goes to 78. That's why I started investigated different thermo's.

Anyway, here is the update as of this morning:

Wine is in my basement where it is 59 deg. I put the brew belt on last night, and today the tape reads 74 (brightest color) and the digital reads 68 deg. I feel comfortable that all is ok now, so thanks for all the input.

wade said:
Taking the temp by the air on top of the wine will not be as accurate.

If you are referring to my digital thermo, the end of the probe is actually in the must probably 3" deep.

"BTW, I just left my digital thermometer's metal probe sticking through
the hole in the top of the primary's lid, and that works pretty well".
This sentence is what threw me off.

wade said:
"BTW, I just left my digital thermometer's metal probe sticking through the hole in the top of the primary's lid, and that works pretty well".
This sentence is what threw me off.

Ahh, I see. It is through the hole, but the probe is long enough to reach the must.
smiley1.gif

I would say around 55*. It will be cool in the beginning and the end. During fermentation it will be fine even if the room temp was a little cooler as fermentation creates its own heat. Its towards the end that I would be very worried about the must getting a stuck fermentation.

myway22 said:
What is the coldest temp a room can be if you want to use a brew belt?

Good question. I thought I read on this forum 57 deg. , but I'm not positive. I guess you could use 2 belts if below that eh?

Edit: Wade beat me to it.Edited by: onin24eagle

But you think if it goes below 55 in a given area, the brew belt would be ineffective?

It would probably only warm it up to around 63* which in my opinion would not be safe especially towards the end of fermentation.

Latest posts

Back