WineXpert V.R. White Zinfandel. I need some answers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would really make the effort to have fermentation take place in an area warm enough to protect my investment of time and money.

PolishWineP said:
I would really make the effort to have fermentation take place in an area warm enough to protect my investment of time and money.

Are you saying at now 69 deg via digital and 75 via the thermal lcd tape thermo I should move it upstairs?Edited by: onin24eagle

Is it fermenting yet or are there signs of fermentation like a slight sizzling inside.

If you have those temps, it should be going very soon if it hasn't started yet. Slightly warmer temps will let it ferment faster. The slightly lower temps will protect fruit flavors. Of course it has to be warm enough to initiate the fermentation.

wade said:
Is it fermenting yet or are there signs of fermentation like a slight sizzling inside.

I opened it yesterday and yes I heard it sizzling away. This wine smells very good.
smiley1.gif

Update:

Day 7 and S.G. was 1.007, so I racked into carboy.

I decided to just place the carboy under the spigot of the primary and let it drain into the carboy. Was this ok to do? What everyone's opinion on doing that? I may have put too much into the carboy, but I'm not sure. The directions say to not fill it too high that room is needed for the next step.
I also wanted to know what is a good temp to keep the wine at while it's in the carboy for the next 10 days or so?

It's fine to use the spigot. It makes the job a lot easier. If you are down to below where the neck narrows down by a couple inches you should be ok. It is still fermenting some so you need a bit of room for foam. About 65-72 are good temps.

Well, my zin has been sitting in the carboy at 73 deg. for 13 days now. The directions say 10 days then check s.g. to see if it is .996 for two days in a row.
I am starting to worry because 4 days ago, i'm pretty sure s.g. was at .998. The last 2 days i'm pretty sure it is at 1.000. Am I nuts or does s.g. sometimes go backwards or increase? Also, the wine is starting to smell more vinegary if you will.
I have been droping the hydrometer right into the carboy to make the measurement, and now I wonder if that's ok, or do i need a wine theif? Any suggestions ya'll?Edited by: onin24eagle

Get a wine thief or a test jar and baster. We don't use a wine thief. We use a turkey baster that's never been near a turkey. They're easier to handle and control. Get a good test jar for your hydrometer http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5396and drop it in there. You can get a dead eye reading that way.

In the meantime, I'd go ahead and rack it. Edited by: PolishWineP

PolishWineP said:
Get a wine thief or a test jar and baster. We don't use a wine thief. We use a turkey baster that's never been near a turkey. They're easier to handle and control. Get a good test jar for your hydrometer http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5396and drop it in there. You can get a dead eye reading that way.

In the meantime, I'd go ahead and rack it.

Good advice. I will get a turkey baster and jar.

I did go ahead to step 3, added everything and degassed. The directions said NOT to rack as the the lees needed to be stirred back into suspension.

Latest posts

Back