Using Inert gas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the "head space eliminator", which draws a vacuum on a partially filled carboy, down to about 15 inches of mercury. Is there anyway to calculate the % reduction of oxygen exposure? Is it 50% or 99.9%?

Best guess is that it is 50%. I know you know this, NorCal, but for the others, NorCal guessed 50% because atmospheric pressure is about 30 inches of mercury, so about half the air remains in the vessel. However, the exact composition of the residual gas depends a little bit on the kind of pump used, the size of the tube that leads to the vessel, and how long it was pumped.

Last edited:
I bought the "head space eliminator", which draws a vacuum on a partially filled carboy, down to about 15 inches of mercury. Is there anyway to calculate the % reduction of oxygen exposure? Is it 50% or 99.9%?

I developed it to go down to approx 20-22 in hg of vacuum so it will hopefully pull some CO2 out of the wine - in effect actually lowering any Oxygen content in the headspace.

You can always add more vacuum in you feel the need to.

Latest posts

Back