Using a collapsible water container after initial fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made wine in LDPE cubitainers.
you can use a standard cork and airlock BUT it needs to be supported
a month I wouldn’t complain about but if you do it at second racking for six months the wine will develop a sherry (slow oxidation) flavor, racking out is a little harder since lees are disturbed, it needs support as a cardboard box.View attachment 80597
I have made wine in bag in box wine bags. EVOH
you can use a standard cork, you have to support the opening, there is low oxygen transmission so the flavor is good, this could be used after a cubitainer/ one month to a year, racking is a little harder since the lees can be disturbed, it requires a box or enclosure of some type.
View attachment 80598
I once made 5 gallons of beer in a collapsible container container -as shown above,supported by a carboard container. I was woken up one Saturday morning by my CEO (wife) screaming 'Your beer, your bloody beer is all over the kitchen floor!!!' My first thought was 'SAVE THE BEER' which I did. What happened was the diagonal seam which you can see in the photo, developed a less than 1/4 inch split and was leaking into the electrical conduit below the floorboards down into the kitchen. It was foaming out of the light switch, down the wall and all over the floor. What was driving my CEO frantic, was our three kids skating about in it and throwing foam up into the air.
Understandably I was banned from making any more beer. Luckily I havent had any setbacks like that with my wine,
Alls well that ends well, the beer was quite good in the end.

Going back to this topic, are there any hard plastic carboys like this that anyone would recommend. Glass carboys expensive to find and ship to Prescott, AZ.
Capture.JPG

I have made wine in LDPE cubitainers.
you can use a standard cork and airlock BUT it needs to be supported
a month I wouldn’t complain about but if you do it at second racking for six months the wine will develop a sherry (slow oxidation) flavor, racking out is a little harder since lees are disturbed, it needs support as a cardboard box.
I too have used cubitainers made for wine storage. They recommended not more than 6 months storage. I used it for a couple months of additional aging. Then with a spigot as a stopper I served the wine right out of the container. Worked well as it kept the air out until the quantity got low then the colapsed container was strong enough to suck air in while dispensing. Solved the problem by drinking faster. :h

Going back to this topic, are there any hard plastic carboys like this that anyone would recommend. Glass carboys expensive to find and ship to Prescott, AZ.
View attachment 84681
I would not use a container like this for storage. First of all it is difficult to control head space. Second, they breathe. those 2 things invite oxidation. You can get plastic carboys for much less than glass, you could even buy 5 gallon carboys of water, just pay the deposit, use the water and keep the carboy.

i have a few of them in my camping gear, i've drank a lot of water thru them, but like stated above, i would not try wine in them, now i got 4 or five that a thick and rigid, on www.colomafrozen.com when you order 4 gallons of concentrate it comes in these 5 gallon containers, got 1 of pear
and another of peach, PLEASE if i come up missing please, please, please break me out of the betty ford addiction clinic,,,
Richard

Back