Mosti Mondiale Use MM Container as a Primary Bucket?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
Hi,

Bought and started my first MM kit today. Looking at the bottom of the MM bucket it appears that it would be fine to use as a primary bucket. My question... is whether or not that line inside the bucket, @ about 2.25 down from the lip, is a 23 liter line or pretty close to 23 liters?

Thanks...

Too small. But it does make a good bucket to rack into temporarily or a nice corkador or storage for sanitized tubing etc.

Like Ibglowin says, won't work but it will work if you are making a 5 gallon or 3 gallon batch.

How come it won't work? This is a bucket that packaged a MM 23 liter all juice kit. There was definitely some head space in the bucket over the juice bladder bag. Is it because it is more narrow than a standard primary fermenting bucket? Less surface area thus messing up fermentation?

After primary fermentation I'll clean my standard bucket primary, fill it to the 23 liter mark with water and pour into the MM bucket. I'll report back to you guys as to how much it fills the MM bucket.

Even if it turns out it can't or shouldn't be used as a primary I can use it as Mike indicated.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Not enough head space for a red wine once it gets going good you can have 4-5 inches of foam cap for a few days. White wines are usually less foamy and form little or no cap. So it would be much safer for a white wine. The red wine kits with grape packs really need at a minimum an 8.9G Fermentor which is ~ 34L in volume.

Not enough head space for a red wine once it gets going good you can have 4-5 inches of foam cap for a few days. White wines are usually less foamy and form little or no cap. So it would be much safer for a white wine. The red wine kits with grape packs really need at a minimum an 8.9G Fermentor which is ~ 34L in volume.

Thank you Mike. Now it makes sense to me. I can picture a higher foam cap the more narrow the bucket.

Wouldn't it be a cool marketing tool for MM to package their 23 liter all juice kits in a bucket that could be used as a primary bucket? Drilling a hole for a grommet (include the grommet in the kit) which would accommodate an air lock would be no big deal.

Last edited:
They are great buckets and I use a couple of mine for Corkador's since I buy my corks in 1000. I also use them in the Fall as my catch buckets off the press. The seal is tight as well. Again, just a great bucket. As Julie said if your making wine from something other than a 23L Kit and you can control the volume they would also be a good primary for a 3-5 gallon batch of something.

I have used the pails to do some of my lower end kits in and they worked fine.I drilled a hole in the lid attach bung and airlock and let it do it's thing. I don't recall it ever blowing over. When using a towel though it did keep soaking it so I would have to use lid. I wouldn't use it for a 6 gal fruit or higher end kit that ferments better.

Latest posts

Back