usable containers ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmyers

wine maker in progress
Reaction score
I have found some free
money.gif
plastic 5 gallon containers they are for cooking oil so I would assume they are food grade. I wouldn't use them as a primary or secondary but I was thinking of using them for bulk ageing just not sure if they would allow air to get it and spoil wine :a1 have any thoughts
they have a no. 2 in the recycle triangle if that helps

I think I would stick with glass or better bottles. Actually for aging, I just use glass. It has been proven over the years. Arne.

no 2 is hdpe food grade bucket...not sure if i would make wine in anything that has oil are grease in it that was plastic, glass yes.....
if anything, i might use for primary, since the wine wouldnt be in it very long..i would have to wash it a lot before i was confident there was no oil in it...

Too much surface area of wine exposed to air in a bucket for long-term aging. They would make excellent fermenting buckets, though.

JD, I would strongly advise against using those containers for any part of the winemaking process. I see you are in the Pittsburgh area and I note that on the local Craig's List that there seems to be no end of opportunity to by glass carboys and demijohns. I wish we had as many here in central Ohio. That is the route I would recommend.

Latest posts

Back