Fermentation tanks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winechef

Reaction score
I'm starting to increase production to 100 gallon batches. I have stainless steel tanks for aging and secondary fermentation. but I'm considering food grade plastic tubs for primary fermentation.

stainless steel tanks will be harder to clean and remove the sediment and dead yeastyeast from bottom of tank, unless I find one that has a trap door.

is large thick plastic tubs as good for primary fermentation?

I'm starting to increase production to 100 gallon batches. I have stainless steel tanks for aging and secondary fermentation. but I'm considering food grade plastic tubs for primary fermentation.

stainless steel tanks will be harder to clean and remove the sediment and dead yeastyeast from bottom of tank, unless I find one that has a trap door.

is large thick plastic tubs as good for primary fermentation?
For red wine - totally fine. Macro bins (and larger S-bins and T-bins) are an industry standard for fermenting. For white wine I'd select a container with more enclosed headspace so that you capture more of those volatile aromas.

Not sure what you mean. but I'm. starting to go commercial and first year goal is 2500 liters. I could make more but not sure on. sales and marketing. so start small

Not sure what you mean. but I'm. starting to go commercial and first year goal is 2500 liters. I could make more but not sure on. sales and marketing. so start small

Sorry, I didn't know that you were undertaking a commercial operation. I was referring to the fact that, in the US, the legal limit for home winemakers is 100 gallons, or 200 gallons per household of 2 or more.

Just curious: Have you started the process of obtaining a permit from the TTB?

Last edited:
Tip on cleaning ss tanks..

Get a two wheeled hand truck. Move tank outside and tilt on its side. The hand truck will serve to cradle the tank. Let the sludge pour out.

I then use a cheap electric pressure washer to blast the inside clean.

Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy!

I don't live in USA. I'm sharing the license with an established winery. I make fruit wines. if successful selling 3000 bottles. then will expand and build my own factory.

here need 500 meter square building with 3 separate areas, for manufacturing, storage and shipping. lots of paperwork and product testing. I pay about 300 dollars per batch to get health tested. so that's why wanted to increase vat size.

if can't market and sell 3000 bottles a year, then won't lose too much startup. prefer to grow in stages. I sold 400 bottles last year, this year not much because pandemic lockdowns. I've been selling for 30 dollars equivalent a bottle but will have to reduce price when wholesale, but increase production will help with differences.

thanks John T. I'll do exactly that.

for fruit wines i seem to have more residue of cellulose fiberous material left over. i try to filter it but clogs up quickly. so i thought a. open food plastic tub that can cover with drainage spout would be easier for fermentation. after racking stainless steel is easy. just light sediment. but I usually get 4 inches of sludge for peach, plum, nectarine, wines.

Latest posts

Back