Upping the Sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
So..I have a very dry riesling that I'm going to start on degassing and stabalization tonight. Its 6 gallons (or there abouts).

If I wanted to bring the sugar up to sweeten it a little, how much sugar would I use? I know I'm supposed to add this "after" the degassing and adding of the stabalization stuff.

Thanks!

Start out with a small amount. You could take about a pint of wine or water and gently warm it and add about 1 cup of sugar. Make sure the sugar is well dissolved. If you bring the temp up to almost boiling it will blend in better. Let it cool back down to almost room temperature. Once cooled add it to the wine- adding about a quarter of it, taste it. If you want more add mre until you get to the point you are satisfied. Remeber you can always addmore, but can't take it back out. Remember it will smooth out as it ages, so if you keep it just a little dry, it will seem sweeter later.

You can search on sweetening and get a ton of information in past posts. Search All days.

We pull almost a gallon of the wine and put it into a gallon jug. We measure by tablespoons as we add it to the gallon, taste, then add more. Once we find what is too much, we go back to the previous amount and add the appropriate amount.

Sugar substitute option: If you would like more information or to tryStevia press this link.

I have not had any negative feedback on this product option other then the caution of "Do Not Use Too Much".

This is the same results I have found also, not one instance of actual testing of positive or negative. The President of Steviva was not aware stevia was being used by wine makers but was very interested to see actual results.

I did purchase a bottle of Stevia refined extract and will try it next year. But actual results will not be conclusive for a few years.

It would be a good study for a few of us to try it and see if we get the same results. I guess you have to be willing to waste $100.00 and some time if it goes bad. Edited by: masta

Thanks Appleman! So the order of events should be (is this right?):

[Assumes cleaning and sanatizing is done! Cleanness counts!]

1. Degas wine

2. Addadd stabilising

3. Stir

4. Add fining

5. Stir

6. Add back sugar (if I decide to do this)

bovinewines said:
Thanks Appleman! So the order of events should be (is this right?):

[Assumes cleaning and sanatizing is done! Cleanness counts!]

1. Degas wine

2. Addadd stabilising- Use the K-Meta Pack and K-Sorbate

3. Stir and degas again

4. Add fining - Add packet or packets of fining agent

5. Stir and degas again

6. Add back sugar (if I decide to do this)

I added a few little things- in red

Thank you! I'm off to clean and sanatize....I'm trying to make copious notes about what I'm doing and trying to gather all this info.

I feel the need for a Wiki coming on (Wikipedia....set one up for all this great info!)

One more question...(I'll be so glad when I get through this...although I'll still have questions!
smiley4.gif
)

Degassing: My carboy is down a bit...should I top off before I degass so it'll be easier for me to remove the foam?

No need to, you actually have to remove some if it is too full to use the drill stirrer. You don't want to suck out the foam. As you create the vacumn, the bubbles pop and dissapear. You will likely see small bubbles coming to the surface as you create the vacumn. I have never resorted to using the vacumn. I always just stir repeatedly for a couple minites at a time, reversing direction of the drill once in a while helps.

Do not create a vortex while stirring the wine as it will suck in air. Just stir till you get the wine starting to move in 1 direction the reverse until wine is moving in other direction and keep repeating.

Crud...I created a vortex....
smiley9.gif

Ah well...its been since Friday and the wine still has a haze. I guess this is where the patience pays off?

Did you add sugar. I just went back and read earlier posts and dont really agree with the action. I have encountered 1 time while adding sugar that it created a haze and from now on I stabilize, back sweeten, then fine because of that. I must say other than that Ive never had a problem using a kit fining agent but have noticed that Winexprts clarifier's take longer than others but do the job.

I added (are you ready for this) a WHOPPING 2 tablespoons and then chickened out!
smiley36.gif

I'll wait 'er out before I try and panic....
smiley2.gif

Nothing to worry about, if it does not clear for some reason you could always put in some SuperKleer. Did you have plenty of lees to stir up in there as the W.E. kits fining agents require lots of lees.

Wade is right about the cloudiness.I usually heat some of the wine,and sugar in the microwave,and put a lid on it and shake.If you leave it to cool on its own,it will be clear.Also for 6 gallons of wine,adding 12ozs of sugar will raise the sg 5 points.If it clouds up,fining or filtering will clear it up,but I usually leave it for a few days,and check it again first.
lockdude

Welcome lockdude, please share your experiences with us and stay awhile!
23_3_36.gif

Thanks Wade.I just stumbled over from the other forum,and like this one.
I will share what I know,and put my foot in my mouth,every once in a while.
lockdude

Back