Unorthodox bottles -Screw caps, port corks etc.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drez

Reaction score
So my bottle stash is getting low and wondering on using some previously rejected bottles for apfelwein to make room. Are any of the following suitable options?

Screw top wine bottles with original caps?
Cognac/Scotch/Port bottles with original cork stopper?
Liquor bottles with original cap?
Champagne bottles with a port cork (or other smaller hand forced cork that won't require the risk of a corker)?

Im no expert on the subject but I would not use screw ons for anything you plan on keeping around awhile. I also wouldnt use port/whisky mushroom corks for regular wine. Port can get away with having those corks as its high in Alcohol 19.5-20%abv which preserves the wine. As I said Im no expert but I would just use regular wine bottles for anything other then a fortified wine

I collect all kinds of empty botlles for my hobby. So I also get a lot of empty screw-caps.
I re-use them once, not more. I never had a problem with them.

Liquor bottles can also be used. Though I sdo not give away any of my wine in liqor bottels as I dont think it looks very pretty.

Luc

Alcohol 19.5-20%abv which preserves the wine.

I had wondered if that was the case as you only see it on Scotch, Cognac or Port all higher in ABV but I wasn't sure if it had more to do with it how well they keep or if it was instead becasue all of those are beverages that you are less likely to consume in a single sitting.

I re-use them once, not more. I never had a problem with them.

Well if a pro like you will resort to it now and then, I feel much better giving it a try

Liquor bottles can also be used. Though I sdo not give away any of my wine in liqor bottels as I dont think it looks very pretty.

Agreed, I only intend to use this as a fall back when Im short on bottles as it does look a little "ghetto"

I'm temped to start a control experiment and try a couple bottle methods on this next batch and compare them agasint each other in 6 mo and write up a little experiment in line with this thread

a good source of bottles is local restaurant ie olive garden is a great source. my family collects bottles for me. i save all of my 1.5l bottles for my apfelwein & skeeter pee. and use the 750ml bottles for my other wines.

Back