Screw cap bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They aren't re-usable if you use a corkscrew to get them out.

I guess a better question is...how are you planning to get them out so that they can be re-used?

Steve

:slp Like I said, we are new at this. I had no idea till now they were not re usable. I figured by their design (the part that stuck out above the top of the bottle) you pushed them in and pulled them out by hand.

This misunderstanding should validate our need to be a member of this forum.

Is this cork for use after you open the wine?

http://www.mainbrew.com/Plastic-T-Cork-Reusable-Stopper-Prodview.html

Thanks for setting this straight.

CNM

Last edited:
We are in full agreement here. I am not a hater of screw caps.

All I was saying was that, in this country, about 30 to 40 years ago, only the cheapest domestic wines came with screw caps. Today, this public perception still exists.

Ah yes, the days of Boons Farm and Wine Coolers.

Finally, I use corks for the romance. Let me paint a picture....

You have a fire going. You tied the kids up and threw them into the trunk of your car (just for a while), you put on some smooth jazz, put out a platter of fine cheeses and smokey meats, and you have your best gal with you (who stares at you in awe while thinking "I never knew he could be so romantic, he may very well get lucky tonight).

Then you go to open the wine.. Lets explore two possible options here..

Option A: A POP from a natural cork announces "something good this way comes". You pour two glasses and within 2 sips the fireworks are going off...

Option B: A crackle of a screw cap and she thinks.. "Why that cheap bastard!" She backs off, the smooth jazz station goes to a commercial about anal warts, the kids escape from the trunk and are demanding dinner, and your gal starts to cry and goes to live with her mother. All because you opted for a screw cap.

(I sure hope the above did not offend anybody)

It is true, the crackle sound isn't the same for sure. Tradition, TVs and Movies have helped romanticize that cork popping sound. We are so easily conditioned :)

I do prefer a cork because of that kind of nostalgic feeling you get when opening wine with a cork in it. But those screw tops sure would have come in handy a few times here or there when I had to improvise a corkscrew (meaning I pushed the cork into the bottle)

yes, I did that, *gasp* :)

Last edited:
From what I have read, do not use commercial wine bottles with screw tops. Apparently they have a different screw, and requires commercial equipment to get the necessary seal. They also have a thinner glass neck than cork bottles, so don't use them for corking, or the cork may break the bottle.

LHBS screw top bottles are fine.

After researching, it all of a sudden occurred to me that I have been using reusable screw top bottles and caps from a Mr Beer kit for my beer batches. If they can keep the pressure in, they can keep air out.

meaning i cannot reuse my Tilia bottles and the screw tops that came with them? Obviously they won't be attached to the metal on the neck any longer but that part is just to keep them from unscrewing on their own and as tamper evidence. If I tighten them down they should be ok yeah? Don't see why not. I suppose eventually they will lose their seal from overuse; at that point I guess I have to throw that bottle away and go buy (and drink) another Tilia. Dilemmas Dilemmas

:slp Like I said, we are new at this. I had no idea till now they were not re usable. I figured by their design (the part that stuck out above the top of the bottle) you pushed them in and pulled them out by hand.

CNM

OK you are not talking about normal corks. You are talking about what is usually called tasting corks. Normal corks and tasting corks both come in real cork and synthetic cork versions.

If you will be consuming the wine quickly (as mentioned in your first post), tasting corks will be fine, and can be re-used, although I think not indefinitely.

Be careful what you buy (especially if buying a lot). Back in 2006 and 2007 there were some tasting corks (in Canada at least) that just sat in the bottle without providing a seal. Kinda useless, if you ask me. At the time I was running a store, and put some on an order from one of our suppliers. The order desk called to make sure I wanted T-corks that didn't seal. I was very happy that I had a good relationship with that supplier.

Steve

We stock both cork and screw top bottles. We also have a number of different screw top caps, the plastic ones like on a soda bottle, the metal ones with the cardboard disc in the top ( not recomended for any long term use) and all plastic with a soft plastic dome on the inside. http://brewandwinesupply.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_31&product_id=1465
You can find more on the website under "Bottling equipment" then "caps, corks, closures, and capsules"
Doug:

Please let us know if/when you start carrying caps that will fit Stelcap bottles. (At least that is what it appears that these Novatwist closures fit.)

Steve

OK you are not talking about normal corks. You are talking about what is usually called tasting corks. Normal corks and tasting corks both come in real cork and synthetic cork versions.

If you will be consuming the wine quickly (as mentioned in your first post), tasting corks will be fine, and can be re-used, although I think not indefinitely.

Be careful what you buy (especially if buying a lot). Back in 2006 and 2007 there were some tasting corks (in Canada at least) that just sat in the bottle without providing a seal. Kinda useless, if you ask me. At the time I was running a store, and put some on an order from one of our suppliers. The order desk called to make sure I wanted T-corks that didn't seal. I was very happy that I had a good relationship with that supplier.

Steve

Thanks. We will go with the T-corks.

Just to piggyback on what Steve was saying..

T-Corks are fine if you'll be drinking whatever-it-is (alot of these corks are found on liquor bottles, because they dont worry so much about oxidation) relatively soon.

But I really wouldn't use them if you're storing wine for over a period of 2-3 months. You'd really want some type of permanent enclosure - whether its real or synthetic cork.. Something.

Those T-Corks will make you cry if you bottle your whole batch with them and dont get to the last ones for a few years. Big ol' alligator tears, I promise.

Just to piggyback on what Steve was saying..

T-Corks are fine if you'll be drinking whatever-it-is (alot of these corks are found on liquor bottles, because they dont worry so much about oxidation) relatively soon.

But I really wouldn't use them if you're storing wine for over a period of 2-3 months. You'd really want some type of permanent enclosure - whether its real or synthetic cork.. Something.

Those T-Corks will make you cry if you bottle your whole batch with them and dont get to the last ones for a few years. Big ol' alligator tears, I promise.

Ok. We will go with the screw caps, just in case a bottle should last longer than 30 or 40 days, or did not get finished on the first go around.

Latest posts

Back