WineXpert Unnecessary step?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexmor

Reaction score
So, I started my third kit [Italian Barbaresco....smells divine!], and got my boss [spouse] to help me. She was standing by with directions to double check my memory. When we got to the part to test SG after mixing the must and water, she asked if I was sure this was necessary. I asked why she asked, and she said "because it doesn't give you any steps to follow for correction if it's NOT in the target range.

Good question....if it's not in that range, whatDO you do? The instructions certainly don't give you a clue.

And a follow up, has anyone here ever had one which wasn't in the target range?

rexmor,

I was wondering the same thing. It always has been in the correct range...for me. I think it is a step that helps you get accustomed to checking gravity plus, you can figure your finalabv if you know the starting SG. If nothing else, it is a good habit to get into. Maybe others know why you would need to do that since it is pretty much pre-set. The only thing you are adding is water and if measured correctly the SG should be right on target.

I've thought of skipping that step but haven't....I know with Wine Expert there is a reason for everything......

I'm surprised that no one asked that question at Winestock and I didn't think of it at the time.

Ramona

If you SG isn't in range, you contact your retailer who in turn should contact the manufacturer to track the production run. There may be steps to correct the SG but it is possible the kit may be replaced. Thisis a step to assure the product you are pouring in that bucket indeed meets specification.It is important to assure the SG is within range to assure your wine comes out as expected in the proper alcohol range, taste and body.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I am another that has always been in the correct range. I did run across a posting where someone asked what to do because there SG was too low. Answer given was: if you have added the correct amount of water, possibly the must and water were not mixed up enough and that some of the must might be near the bottom of the primary pail..... on top was a layer of watery must giving them a lower SG so stir, stir, stir.

JC

jcnoren said:
I am another that has always been in the correct range. I did run across a posting where someone asked what to do because there SG was too low. Answer given was: if you have added the correct amount of water, possibly the must and water were not mixed up enough and that some of the must might be near the bottom of the primary pail..... on top was a layer of watery must giving them a lower SG so stir, stir, stir.

JC

An excellent point. I guess I didn't think about that as I use my Mix-Stir device to mix my musts so it does a fine job. I could of worded it better when I said there are steps to correct the SG at times and stirring more is what I meant.I looked at my records and every kit I have done has been exactly in the middle of the listed range without a deviation.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

rexmor,

I believe the SG step provides and accurate starting SG that when compared with the finished SG provides you with an alcohol by volume. Should the SG be way out of range, I'd contact George (provided I purchased it from FVW). If it was only slightly off, I'd use the reading to compensate the final Alc per vol to put on my label. If it was low, a sugar addition could bring the SG up, but with kits, they should be pretty close to what islisted in the instructions.

Good suggestions all. I guess the point is, they should follow up withthe directions....right now it says to be sure to check it....OK, if it's not in range then WHAT?

This step is important to make sure you kit is good. As others have pointed out, if you initial S.G. is not in the target range, stir your must again to make sure you have mixed the water and the concentrate. If it is still off, give me a call and we will determine if your kit needs to be replaced.

I would like to add a few points...always double check your SG if it appears to be out of range as I have made this error in the past and adjusted my Braggot without checking first.
smiley7.gif

As the WE instructions state check yourSG before adding any oak or other solids otherwise it will be difficult to get an accurate reading.

rexmor said:
Good suggestions all. I guess the point is, they should follow up withthe directions....

Why? I mean, if you buy a new car, one of the things you do when you go out in the morning and start it up is to check the dash indicators. If the "Check Engine Light" is on, what do you do? The instruction book isn't going to tell you which diagnostic machine to purchase, how to run the computer diagnosis, and then how to replace whatever module that may have failed in your engine. Instead, you contact your dealer and are thankful it's all covered under warranty.

Same thing with the kit, in my opinion. If something doesn't check out, contact the retailer or even the manufacturer. As long as you've followed the directions, it's still under warranty.
smiley2.gif

I have had one kit that I folled instructions to a T and the SG was a
tad bit higher than it was supposed to be and it came out just fine. As
a matter of fact I believe it to be the best wine so far out of 4 kits.
I"m definetly not the pro here but I would assume if it is very close
as mine was there should not be a problem. Mine was off by .002. I was
a little leary at first but I am a newbie and I just found out
about this forum about 1 week ago. About 2 months too late to ask any
questions about my first three kits.

Wade

Back